It's not as glamorous as NYC or as well-known it's southern neighbor, Chicago, but Milwaukee has it's own midwestern charm, not to mention a killer food scene. The cheese and beer, of course, can't be beat, but there's more to Milwaukee than dairy and breweries. Read on to find out where to get the best desserts in Brew City.

1. Tarte au Citron Vert from Coquette Cafe

lemon, pie, meringue, cream, chocolate
Emily Waples

This treat is also known as Key Lime Pie, for those of us who don't speak French. While not a typical French dessert, it is a superb rendition of Florida's famous treat. The tart filling is complimented by a delicious crust and toasted meringue. If you're craving a more classic French finish to your meal, try the Crème Brûlée or Profiteroles instead.

2. Italian Cookies from Peter Sciortino's Bakery

Opened in the 1940s, Sciortino's Bakery is a Milwaukee staple. With their wide selection of fresh breads and pastries, you really can't go wrong.

3. Carrot Cake from Buckley's

Open until midnight most days, Buckley's is the perfect place to stop for a late night dessert in East Town. The treats are homemade by the owner's wife.

4. Cruller from Cranky Al's

You do not want to miss out on the donuts from Cranky Al's or, oddly enough, the pizza. The Restaurant is known for both, so grab one of their phenomenal crullers in the morning and a speciality pizza, such as The Cranky (sausage and pepperoni), in the evening.

5. Pistachio Creme Puff from Le Rêve Patisserie & Cafe

cream, chocolate, cake, tart
Emily Waples

It's almost impossible to pick from Le Rêve's stunning dessert case, but the pistachio creme puff is consistently incredible – light, airy, and with a raspberry jelly inside that adds complexity.

6. Tiger Pie from Honeypie Cafe

A slice of Tiger pie totes chocolate, caramel, and whipped cream – what more do you need? Other highlights from the quirky diner in Bay View include Milwaukee Mud and Salted Honey Pie. Not a fan of pie? They also have a wide selection of cupcakes.

7. Flavor of the Day from Kopp's Frozen Custard

While my personal favorites are Grasshopper Fudge and Caramel Cashew, the famed custard and burger joint never fails to disappoint with creative concoctions. Checkout the Flavor Forecast for upcoming creations at Kopp's.

8. Lemon Tart from Amaranth Bakery and Cafe

An unassuming house-turned-bakery, Amaranth is a cozy neighborhood cafe with incredible breads, soups, and pastries. Get there early if you're looking for a breakfast treat - their morning rolls and scones sell out quickly.

9. Cheesecake from Simma's Bakery

Simma's is renowned for their wedding cakes, but they sell individual slices of all kinds of delicious cakes, including a very popular cheesecake.

10. Literally Anything from Sanford

One of Milwaukee's finest restaurants, Sanford features an ever-changing, prix fixe menu that finishes with made-to-order elegant desserts

11. Cookies from Regina's Bay Bakery

Always seasonally themed, colorful, and fresh, these cookies are a staple at this Whitefish Bay bakery

12. Mousse au Chocolat from Lake Park Bistro

Made with Valrhona chocolate from France and served with coconut sorbet, this mousse almost rivals the restaurant's lake views. Almost.

13. Butter Pecan Cone from Leon's Frozen Custard 

The debate of Leon's vs. Kopp's for best custard in Milwaukee may never be settled, but the former does have the best butter pecan custard in the city. Stop by this classic custard stand in south Milwaukee for a cone – no matter rain, snow, sleet or shine.

14. Strawberry Shortcake from Elsa's on the Park

Another good place for a late night treat in Milwaukee, Elsa's has many dessert highlights, including their shortcake, New York Cheesecake, and Gooey Cake (a version of the popular butter cake sold in St. Louis). Just feeling like a classic sundae? Elsa's are simple and delicious.

15. Ice Cream Flight from Purple Door

Recommended by the likes of Vogue and The Huffington Post, Purple Door boosts a whopping 145 flavors, which they rotate through their Walker's Point shop. Get a flight of 4 scoops to try everything from their famous Whiskey to their lesser-known flavors like Garam Masala.

16. Caramel Apples from Amy's Candy Kitchen

No trip to the historic downtown Cedarburg is complete without stopping at Amy's, a quaint candy shop featuring housemade candied apples. You can find everything from classic caramel to covered in M&Ms, nuts, or chocolate. You can also ship them from their online store (ahem, care package, anyone?).

17. A Sampling from Odd Duck

My (and many other's) favorite restaurant in Milwaukee, Odd Duck, serves an ever-changing menu of tapas-style dishes. Literally everything is phenomenal, including the desserts, which are well-portioned to order a few and split with your fellow diners. Usually a seasonal cheesecake, crème brûlée and some kind of chocolate can be found on the dessert menu, scrawled on a chalkboard on the restaurant's back wall.

18. Apricot Scone from Blooming Lotus Gourmet Bakery

The treats here are not only grain- and dairy-free, but processed sugar- and egg-free as well. Sound a little too health nut for you? Try one of their scones and you'll be converted to Blooming Lotus' healthier take on baked goods.

19. Monkey Bread from Blue's Egg

At one of Milwaukee's best brunch spots, no meal is complete at without an order of Blue's monkey bread. Be sure to splurge and "crunk it" to get an extra side of their gooey, irresistible sauce.

20. Boozy Shake of the Month from Stack'd Burger Bar

Often featuring local ingredients like Purple Door Ice Cream, Sprecher Root Beer or house-infused liquor, Stack'd has shakes that are the perfect way to top off a delicious burger and fries.

21. A Dozen Cupcakes from Classy Girl Cupcakes

Because with flavors like Caramel Stout, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie and Cinnamon Pecan French Toast, you can't just pick one.

22. Chocolate Bacon Donut from Holey Moley Coffee + Donuts

Donuts count as breakfast, right? Grab a coffee, too, while you're there.

23. Carrot Cake from Harbor House

Known for their seafood and lakefront views, Harbor House also has some darn good desserts, so stick around and savor the views a little longer over a square of carrot cake.

24. Stuffed French Toast from Mad Rooster Cafe

Bavarian cream, fresh whipped cream, pure maple syrup and fresh berries make up this delicious brunch meal.

25. Creme Puffs from the Wisconsin State Fair

A classic, you can't really call yourself a Wisconsinite until you've had a Wisconsin State Fair Creme Puff.

Go forth and dine.