Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love, which can be expressed in a multitude of ways. Many tend to show their love through food on this special holiday — assorted chocolates, homemade baked goods, and fancy dinner reservations are just some of the most common ways love is shown on this day. For couples in college, it can be difficult to figure out how to go all out for your significant other when you’re living in a dorm. Here’s how to create the perfect Valentine’s Day date from the comfort of your own dorm, complete with homemade recipes and decor.

Decorate your dorm.

First, you need to set the vibe for your date. It’s really easy to transform your room from a simple dorm into the ultimate Valentine’s Day date spot. A few simple decorations can create a cute, romantic mood for your date.

You can buy some fake (or real) flowers from your local grocery store to scatter around the room. Nothing says romance like some rose petals on a dorm carpet. 

Candles are another way to set the mood, but unfortunately, most college dorms don’t allow real ones. Luckily, fake candles will do the job, like these heart-shaped ones from Amazon.

You can find other adorable decorations on Amazon, like this heart garland. It can turn a plane wall into a super cute photo op. Add these pink string lights and you’ll have the perfect mood. 

Pick out the menu.

Photo by Cottonbro Studios from Pexels

It can be difficult to produce a five-course meal out of a dorm, especially when most are only equipped with a fridge and a microwave. If you wanna take the non-chef route, you can order in some takeout and grab a store-bought cake for dessert. 

But, if you’re feeling adventurous and prefer a homemade meal, there are some Spoon recipes you can easily make in your dorm. For an appetizer, try this bruschetta recipe. For the main course, check out these easy dorm recipes, including baked sweet potatoes and pasta.

For dessert, it’s super easy to make chocolate-covered strawberries in a dorm. All you need is chocolate chips, strawberries, and a microwave. First, put some parchment paper on a tray (I suggest this adorable heart-shaped one). Then, microwave your chocolate chips in a bowl, taking them out to stir every 30 seconds. Once melted, dip your strawberries into the chocolate, and lay them on your tray to set. If you’re feeling fancy, you can add toppings such as nuts and sprinkles before the chocolate hardens. 

Photo by Natalia Fogarty from Unsplash

If strawberries aren’t your thing, you can use this same recipe to cover other things in chocolate, like pretzels or Oreos.

You can also make a cake from the comfort of your dorm. You’ll need a mug, boxed cake mix, non-stick cooking spray, oil, water, eggs, and frosting. Spray the inside of the mug with the non-stick cooking spray, and then add your boxed cake mix. Add 3 tablespoons of oil and 6 tablespoons of water and mix. Add one egg and mix again. Place the mug in the microwave on high for 3 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when you stick a fork through the top of it and it comes out clean. Decorate the top with some red or pink frosting, add sprinkles, and your mug cake is ready to be enjoyed.

Set up activities.

Photo by jnm thapa from Pexels

Once your bellies are full of chocolate, it’s time to do something fun together. The obvious activity is to watch a movie together, specifically a rom-com. Some of my favorites are 10 Things I Hate About You, 27 Dresses, and How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days.

If you wanna do something a bit more involved, try making scrapbooks together. All you need is a blank scrapbook, some printed photos of you and your partner, tape, and some decorations. This can include things like dried flowers, stickers, or vibe-y photos you can find on sites like Pinterest. Put on your guys’ favorite playlist and get to scrapbooking.