When people think of Italy, they think of its rich history, culture, and, of course, its food. The land of pasta, pizza, gelato, and risotto beckons to the culinary-minded traveler. However, many don’t realize that there is an intricate set of rules that must be followed when eating in Italy, and they’re definitely more complicated than just knowing not to ask for pineapple on a pizza. Don’t worry, though. I’ve got you covered with this comprehensive list of food and drink dos and don’ts:

1. Don’t order a cappuccino after 12 pm

Italy

Photo courtesy of Takeaway on flickr.com

It’s considered a drink for the morning only.

2. Do order an espresso after any meal

Italy

Photo by Alison Mally

There’s never a bad time to drink espresso, even after dinner. It’s a common practice.

3. Don’t drink to get wasted (if you’re trying to blend in).

Italy

Photo courtesy of Skylight Gardens

It’s just not a part of the culture and makes you very obviously a tourist. If you’re with your friends and want to party, by all means — we’re college students on the trip of a lifetime — have fun and be safe. Just don’t expect to seem like a true Italian.

4. Do drink wine with dinner and end the meal with a shot of grappa or limoncello

Italy

Photo by Alison Mally

Wine is a big part of meals, and the shot is supposed to help with digestion (and, true or not, I’m not about to argue).

5. Don’t take the bread that’s served when you sit down and douse it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Italy

Photo by Alison Mally

It’s actually a very American thing to do. Note, I still did it anyway — it’s delicious.

6. Do use the aforementioned bread to wipe up and eat any leftover sauce from your meal

Italy

Photo by Disha Samaiyar

This is called “fare la scarpetta.”

7. Don’t eat bread with a pasta dish

Italy

Photo courtesy of @pasta on Instagram

This is another cultural norm, and also another one I often ignored. I can’t be asked to choose between bruschetta and spaghetti carbonara.

8. Do feel free to get both a pasta dish and a meat dish

Italy

Photo courtesy of Ciao Carla on Flickr

It’s technically what you’re supposed to do.

9. Don’t put cheese on a seafood dish

Italy

Photo by Alison Mally

This has old, old Catholic origins relating to lean and fat days. I actually had a friend who asked for parmesan to put on her salmon risotto and our waiter refused at first, telling her it was wrong.

10. Don’t buy gelato from shop that has it stacked high

Italy

Photo by Alison Mally

Those are tourist traps. The best gelato shops have the gelato in canisters that are often closed.

11. Do try everything and anything

Italy

Photo courtesy of @tonyspizza415 on Instagram

You never know if lampredotto might be your next favorite food.