There is little in the world that I enjoy more than a good cappuccino in a pleasant coffee shop. But maybe, just maybe, I’ve been settling for “good” cappuccinos when I could have been having “great” ones. So I set out for Nassau street with a mission: to find the best cappuccino in Princeton. I have different criteria for what this means; coffee isn’t just coffee, but also, an experience. Not only does the taste of the combination of espresso and steamed milk have to be impeccable, but the atmosphere of where I’m drinking it also has to be on point. I visited three places, Rojo’s, Small World, and Infini-T, sometimes with a friend, sometimes accompanied only by a looming deadline or a pile of reading. Let the quest begin!

Rojo’s-

cappuccino

Photo by Morgan Lucey

Taste: This was by far the strongest coffee out of the three places. I am not affected by caffeine much anymore, but this cup left even me a little jittery. It was bitter, and left a bit of an aftertaste, so I don’t suggest Rojo’s if you are more of a Starbuck’s frappucino type of person. But if you’re a coffee purist, this is definitely the place to go.

Price: $4.25 for a Small. This is expensive, since “Small” really does mean small. Granted, you’re paying more for high quality beans, but that may not really matter on a college student’s budget

Atmosphere: The cafe is small, with limited seating. There’s no wi-fi, so it’s not the best place to crank out a paper or finish your reading. There’s a nice view of Palmer Square though, perfect for people-watching. The baristas are definitely experts; the drinks may take a little longer to be made, but it is worth it for the latte art and the little chocolate served on a spoon.

Small World-

cappuccino

Photo by Morgan Lucey

Taste: This cappuccino was much less strong than Rojo’s, but it still tasted like it was made with good, quality coffee. Even without any sugar, it was mildly sweet.  I paired it with a parfait made with Small World’s in-house granola. Though food isn’t technically a criteria, it’s nice to have some breakfast or snack options at Small World. Because really, what goes better with coffee than breakfast food? Also, bonus points for the heart made out of milk.

Price: $3.65. This cup is a pretty reasonable size, so it’s not too pricey. It gives more than enough coffee to last you a while sitting in this pleasant cafe.    

Atmosphere: Small World is almost always busy. I went on a Sunday morning at 8 AM and I still had a hard time finding a place to sit. There is always a pleasant chatter and nice lighting, which makes it a really pleasant place to sit. You’re also bound to see someone you know at Small World, which can be a good or bad thing depending on how productive you need to be. I’ve gotten distracted from work many times by a good conversation while waiting for my drink to come out. Overall, though, Small World is my favorite coffee shop when I need to get work done, especially since every purchase comes with free Wi-Fi.

Infini-T Cafe

cappuccino

Photo by Morgan Lucey

Taste: The cappuccino was really mild, so much so that I wanted the coffee to be a bit stronger. It was still good, but I definitely was craving more coffee after I finished it. Not quite the latte art of Small World, but a good effort.

Price: $3.65; the cappuccino is roughly the same size as Small World’s, as well as the same price.

Atmosphere: Infini-T is the perfect place to catch up with a friend over your cappuccinos. Namely because of the owner’s insistence on keeping most of the restaurant cellphone-and-laptop-free. There are designated tables available for when you need to use electronics, though. This cafe is super cozy, and the employees are friendly and knowledgeable. The drink menu is expansive (try the chai latte varieties next!), and Infini-T also offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Without the constant view of busy students clicking away at their laptops, this is the perfect place for a study break.

cappuccino

Photo by Lawrence Yu

Overall, all three places were pretty great.  It’s hard to choose the “best”, since each cafe had pros and cons. Rojo’s had the best-tasting, highest-quality cappuccino, but Infini-T definitely has the best atmosphere. Small World is still my favorite place to get work done, and also offers the best value for what you pay. Overall, Small World is my choice for the best cappuccino in Princeton. But you really can’t go wrong with any of these cafes.  So I leave it up to you, Spoon Readers, to decide your personal favorite for yourself.