Pizza is a such a classic food, and it will always be there for you. Whether you want to have it delivered, go out to eat it or make it yourself, you really can’t go wrong. You know that, no matter what, pizza is the one food you will probably never get sick of. From crazy stats about how much the US loves pizza to insane pizza records, I give you 14 facts (the dish on deep dish, if you will) about seemingly everyone’s favorite food.

1. Americans eat 350 slices per second, on average

pizza

Not that surprising. It just shows how much this country loves pizza. Go America.

2. There is a pizza vending machine in Italy

pizza

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

The “Let’s Pizza” machine is straight out of every college student’s dream. In under three minutes, you can get a fresh, 10.5-inch pizza for $5 or $6. You can even pick toppings and watch it be made in front of you. Italy, I think I speak on behalf of all Americans when I say please bring this to the United States.

3. 93% of Americans eat pizza at least once a month

pizza

Why is this not 100%? Who is living a life that doesn’t include pizza at least once a month?

4. Latest food trend? Pizza in a box MADE OUT OF PIZZA

pizza

Photo courtesy of @vinniesbrooklyn on Twitter

Pizza-ception is the most honorable type of inception, and this is the most brilliant creation ever. Vinnie’s Pizzeria in Brooklyn, NY is our hero.

5. October is national pizza month in the United States

pizza

Photo by Emily Waples

If you need an excuse to eat more pizza. Let the countdown to October begin.

6. Pizzerias make up 17% of all restaurants in the nation

pizza

Photo by Armin Nayak

Honestly what other type of restaurant do you even need? It is probably safe to say that wherever you go in this country, you won’t have trouble finding a pizza place- and thank god.

7. Saturday night is the most popular night of the week to eat pizza

pizza

No need to be ashamed. You’re obviously not the only one staying in and chowing down on Saturday nights.

8. The largest pizza ever made was 13,580.28 ft²

pizza

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

On December 13, 2012, a Guinness World Record was set in Rome. The pizza was named Ottavia in honor of the first Roman emperor, Octavian Augustus. And if the size alone isn’t impressive enough, the entire pizza was also gluten free.

9. The most expensive pizza in the world is $9,573

pizza

If you happen to have an extra $10,000 laying around, I suggest you order the Pizza Louis XIII from chef Renato Viola. The entire process happens at your house and includes the presence of a sommelier, a sous chef and chef Viola himself.

Extravagant toppings for the pizza include three types of caviar, red prawns, Mediterranean lobster and sea cicada. The pizza comes with Remy Martin Cognac and Champagne Krug Clos du Mesnil. Oh, and did we mention the pie isn’t even eight inches in diameter?

10. Eating pizza may reduce the risk of getting cancer

pizza

Photo by Alex Weiner

If you need another reason to justify reaching for a 4th slice, the BBC said that researchers found a chemical in pizza that may reduce the risk of getting cancer. Why waste your time “benefitting your health” by eating salads and fruit when you can just have pizza?

11. Pizza is still served at two McDonald’s in the United States

pizza

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

It’s probably not the original recipe that was used for McPizza in the 1990s, but still. Who knew?

12. Pizza is a $40 billion industry in the United States

pizza

That is a lot of money. We know how to spend it well in America.

13. There is a pizza museum in Philadeplhia

pizza

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

The museum is called Pizza Brain. It is home to the largest collection of pizza memorabilia, and, of course, they make pizza there too.

14. In 2001, Pizza Hut made a delivery to the International Space Station

pizza

After a year of testing and a collaboration between Pizza Hut and Russian food scientists, Pizza Hut delivered a six-inch pizza topped with salami to outer space. This was the first pizza to be delivered and eaten in space. Talk about an out of this world slice.