Avocados are fickle foods. They ripen slowly, stay ripe for a brief window of time, and then quickly turn to rot. Given the price and short period of maximized ripeness, sometimes it seems like it's not worth it to buy avocados at all. You may not feel like eating avocado for every meal in one day, but having these avocado recipes on hand will help you be prepared for whenever your creamy green fruit actually ripens, whether that's 9 AM or 9 PM. So sit down and prepare to learn how to eat avocado for every meal.

BREAKFAST

Green Smoothie

This healthy and easy smoothie only requires 5 ingredients and packs healthy fats, protein, and a serving of greens into your morning.

LUNCH

Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich

If you're a fan of egg or chicken salad sandwiches, this combination of avocado, chickpeas, and a few spices is a great plant-based alternative. Throw it on some upgraded sandwich bread with a little onion and lettuce and enjoy.

SNACK

Kale Guacamole

Guacamole may seem like a basic choice, but this creamy kale version takes the classic to the next level. Make it even better by pairing with homemade baked tortilla chips.  

DINNER

Avocado Spinach Pesto Pasta

pasta, vegetable, herb, soup
Nikki D'Ambrosio

Unlike most traditional pesto, this sauce is creamy without cheese, so all the creaminess comes from avocado. It's even better with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast on top.

DESSERT

Fudgy Avocado Brownies

Avocado may not be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of chocolate, but it turns out that two perfect foods just get better together. These gooey, chocolate-chip studded brownies are the perfect way to end any day, whether or not it's already been filled with avocados.

There are certainly a lot of avocado-filled recipes out there, but  this little sampling can help prevent the wasting of avocados. If nothing else, you've now seen how many ways there are to enjoy the flavor and health benefits of avocado – beyond avocado toast.