Whether you call it Pascua, Pâques, or just plain Easter, there's no denying that this springtime holiday is something to be celebrated. And one of the biggest parts of this holiday is the fun Easter baskets that kids receive on Easter morning.

There are the typical snacks that we Americans know and love, but the rest of the world hops down a different kind of bunny trail when it comes to Easter treats.

Check out how the rest of the world decks out their Easter baskets and get some international inspiration before Peter Cottontail comes hopping back around.

candy, sweet, egg
Alexa Nakamura

United States of America

Land of the free and home of the... Peeps? American Easter baskets are full of bright colors and sweet treats. I remember every year growing up, I'd get a big chocolate bunny and plastic eggs filled to the brim with jelly beans.

And of course, there are the classic Peeps. Although they've been putting out some weird flavors as of late, I still think you can't go wrong with the OG bunnies and chicks.

France

The French aren't too different than Americans in terms of their Easter sweets—one of the most common treats is chocolate! But aside from that, the French also serve the first strawberries of the season on Easter or make a fun nest shaped cake.

Another difference is how these treats are delivered to the Easter baskets. According to French tradition, magic bells deliver Easter presents. In France, church bells don't ring from Good Friday until Easter Sunday, and in that time the bells fly to Rome to be blessed by the Pope. And, when they come back, they come back with treats! Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

Germany

If Augustus Gloop is any indication, German Easter baskets are filled to the brim with chocolate, just like its American counterpart. But, Deutschland also has some more interesting goodies in store for Easter time.

German children wake up to Easter baskets filled with marzipan, fondant fried eggs, and actual egg shells filled with nougat. I don't know about you, but I honestly think if a child can crack into an nougat-filled egg shell without destroying it, that's a better accomplishment than winning the Easter egg hunt! 

Mexico

Mexico is a country deeply rooted in Catholic tradition, and because of this, Easter is more focused on the religious aspects rather than treats and sweets. But, that's not to say that there's still not some delicious traditional food options around this time of year.

One of the more popular items is the molote, a masa empanada commonly sold in Oaxaca around Easter and Christmas. These snacks are filled with chorizo and potato, fried, and smothered in delicious toppings like queso fresco and salsa. ¡Qué sabroso!

Italy

If the pasta and gelato weren't reason enough to move to Italy, then the Easter treats definitely are. Something to know about the Italians around Easter time is that they don't really do Easter baskets.

But, what for what they lack in wicker baskets and bunny rabbits, they more than make up for with giant chocolate eggs. I'd trade an Easter basket for a huge, thick slab of chocolate any day. Additionally, the Italians are partial to their Colomba.

Colomba is a cross between a cake and a bread shaped like an Easter dove. This sweet can be topped with almonds, sugar, candied orange peels, chocolate... the possibilities are ever expanding!

England

beer
Phoebe Melnick

Our friends across the pond have pretty typical Easter baskets in comparison to the States, albeit with a few small changes. Brits swap out Hershey's for Cadbury in nearly all forms of chocolate. I mean, it's easy to see why—tons of people laud Cadbury for being generally creamier and tastier.

As far as other Easter traditions in England, one that I can definitely get behind is the English hot cross bun. These spiced buns are full of currants or raisins and iced with a cross on top. Typically, these treats are eaten on Good Friday, but I don't think I'd be alone in saying that I'd chow down on these buns 24/7.

Jamaica

As a former English colony, it makes sense that Jamaican Easter baskets and Easter traditions would be reminiscent of those back in England. Jamaica's answer to England's hot cross bun, is the Easter bun. Although, despite being called a "bun," this treat is baked in a loaf tin.

Easter buns in Jamaica are spiced and filled with raisins. But, an interesting twist is that Jamaican Easter bread is served with a slice of cheese. I mean, hey, I'm all for eating more bread and cheese. If you're looking for an excuse to take an island getaway, an Easter trip to Jamaica seems as good an excuse as any.

Sweden

While researching for this article, I found that Sweden's Easter traditions really surprised me. Children in Sweden go door to door dressed like witches, trading sweets for decorated pussy willow plants. According to Swedish tradition, there is an old Orthodox practice to bless the house with willow branches.

Of course, children still paint eggs, eat candy, and spend time with family, but this seems a lot more like a Halloween tradition than an Easter tradition. I'm sure that if I went trick-or-treating twice a year as a kid, I'd be riding a perpetual sugar high on all the leftover candy. 

Paraguay

South America tends to go a lil' more savory with its Easter baskets. In Paraguay, chipas are a traditional treat during the Easter week. It's snacks like these that make me wish that I had all the money in the world to travel over the Easter holiday.

Chipa bread is made with lard, salt, cassava starch, and a hard cheese. As evidenced above, bread and cheese a popular and winning combination, and I'm sure Red Lobster cheddar biscuits have nothing on these rolls. #Blessed indeed.

Brazil

When I think of Brazil, I often think of bright colors, warm breezes, and tropical fruits. So, it really threw me for a loop when I found that one of the most common treats in Brazilian Easter baskets is paçoca de amendoim, which is made from plain ol' peanuts.

My mom definitely gave me the peanut butter addict gene, so I'm always looking for more ways to work it into my diet. There's definitely Americanized ways to do this, like DIY peanut butter cups, but maybe we should do as the Brazilians do and go straight for PB candy?

Greece

You can't tell me that this doesn't look like the most beautiful braided bread you've ever seen. Tsoureki loaves might be a smidge too big to fit into Greek Easter baskets, but they're definitely worth mentioning.

These breads are flavored with wild cherry essence and decorated with red hard-boiled eggs. Oh, and did I mention that tsoureki is made with brioche-style bread? Imagine how killer your Easter morning French toast could be!

Spain

You'll think that you went to Heaven too with this Spanish twist on Easter treats. Meet the rosquilla: Spanish baked or fried donuts. Is there anything better than a warm donut on a Sunday morning? Lemme answer that for you: no.

The topping possibilities vary, but I think that this recipe, which calls for cinnamon and sugar, sounds riquísima. I always loved getting donuts after Mass as a kid, so I definitely think the Spanish are onto something here.

Russia

More cheese, please! The Russians are fond of a dish called pashka around Easter time. This dish is supposed to be made up of foods that are forbidden during Lent, which in this case, translates to delicious, delicious cheese.

Some traditional pashkas are decorated with abbreviations for religious phrases and molded into a pyramid shape. But, if you were never really great at geometry, I'm sure you'll be excused for eating a less daunting shaped version of this cheesecakey masterpiece. Besides, it's probably cheaper than the Cheesecake Factory!

Canada

I apologize to anyone who thought that Canadians just ate straight maple syrup on Easter. But seriously, I doubt anyone young or old would mind finding a Nanaimo bar in their Easter baskets. This classic Canadian dessert is made with chocolate, custard cream, and a graham cracker crust. Sounds delicious already, but how do you give this dish an Easter upgrade?

Food Network Canada blessed us with the amazing idea to swap out the regular custard middle with the custard from a Cadbury creme egg, and to top the bars with crushed Cadbury mini eggs. Brb, booking my flight to British Columbia right now.

Denmark

tea, wine, cinnamon, alcohol, beer, liquor
Amelia Weller

OK, so technically you don't generally find liquids in Easter baskets, and even if you did, this entry definitely belongs in an adult Easter goodie bag. The Danes know how to get down on Easter Sunday with Påskeøl, a seasonal Easter beer.

Seasonal beers are kind of a big deal in Denmark, with Christmas beers being the most popular choice. This Easter beer is actually a bit stronger than most commercial beers in Denmark, so it'll definitely help you through those awkward Easter dinners with the family.

Easter is first and foremost a religious holiday to spend with family and friends. But, I think we'd all be lying just a little if we weren't excited growing up to see what would be in our Easter baskets. With this list in mind, maybe you'll find a little international inspo to upgrade your Easter baskets before you rush off to church!