McDonald's might not seem like the best (or healthiest) way to start your day. There are healthy fast food breakfast options do, in fact, exist. But if you just pick something off the menu at random, you could end up sabotaging your fitness goals. We're here to sort through the morning menus so you can have a quick, fit beginning to your day.

The Criteria

sweet
Kate Monick

When scouring nutritional PDFs for the best options, we had three key components in mind: protein, fiber, and low calorie. Protein and fiber are huge players, as they'll keep you full longer and hold cravings at bay. Add some low-cal love to your waistline, and BOOM! Breakfast of Champs.

Starbucks

Put down that Latte and eat some real food. The Hearty Blueberry Oatmeal (C:220, F:5g, P:5g) and Turkey Bacon and Egg White Sandwich (C:230, F:2g, P:16g) are great options. Also, Egg White Sous Vide Bites (C:170, F:1g, P13g)? Adorable.

Panera

Panera's Quinoa and Honey Oatmeal with Almonds (C:300, F:9g, P:8g) makes the perfect healthy fast food breakfast because of its naturally sweet honey and cinnamon. Want more? They also offer a Turkey Sausage, Egg White, and Spinach Sandwich (C: 380, F:5g, P:17g) that will make your morning complete. 

Taco Bell

Warning: Grande Crunchwrap is not the name of something you want to eat for a wholesome breakfast. You'd be better to go with the Breakfast Soft Taco (C:240, F:1g, P:11g) and save yourself the guilt.

Want to know a little secret? You can make Taco Bells items healthier by making them Fresco - which replaces cheese with Pico de Gallo. Do this with the Grilled Breakfast Burrito (C:330, F:2g, P:13g) and the Sausage Flatbread Quesadilla (C:280, F:1g, P11g) to make your morning a little healthier. You're welcome. 

Au Bon Pain

Avoid the pastries and go for the Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (C:280, F:7g, P:8g) instead. Craving a lox sandwich? Their Bon To Go Smoked Salmon (C:210, F3g, P:12) should satisfy the craving.

Denny's

Denny's actually offers a great Fit Fare selection, which offers some of their greatest hits in lower calorie form. Go for either the Fit Slam (C:390, F:6g, P:24g) or the Fit Fare Veggie Skillet (C:340, F:8g, P:19g) for tasty, low-cal options. 

McDonald's

Yes, there are a few redeeming healthy fast food breakfast options even here. While McDonald's Fruit Parfait has a startling amount of sugar, the Fruit & Maple Oatmeal (C:260, F:5g, P:7g) stands untainted. The Egg White Delight (C:260, F:2g, P:16g) is also a good, higher protein option.

IHop

Forgo the carb-loaded pancakes and order a Simple & Fit Spinach, Mushroom, & Tomato Omelette (C:330, F:5g, P:29g). Want something with a touch of sweetness? Banana & Brown Sugar Oatmeal (C:260, F:5g, P8g) will do the trick.

Subway

By substituting regular eggs with egg whites, you'll lower the calorie count on the breakfast sandwiches. Grab a Egg and Cheese (C:340, F:2g, P:20g), or add Black Forest Ham for 30 more calories, but with 5 more grams protein.

Dunkin' Donuts

Cast your eyes from the donut selection and ask for an Egg White, Turkey Sausage Wake-Up Wrap (C:150, F:1g, P:11g) or a Veggie Egg White Flatbread (C:330, F:3, P:18g). Your breakfast shouldn't be dessert, anyway (sorry donuts). 

When you're in a rush, know that there are some healthy fast food breakfasts that won't ruin your health goals. Aim for high protein and high fiber to keep you full and focused the entire morning. Now power through the rest of the day, you health warrior.