One of the best things you can do in life is celebrate food holidays. Here are my top favourite food holidays in August, featuring local Vancouver food businesses and fellow Spoon contributors! 

August 1st: Raspberry Pie Day

sweet, candy
Elise Fegler

"Because as we all know, everything tastes better on a stick."

Check out this simple and quick Raspberry Brie Pop Pie recipe! It's perfect when you're running late or when you're just feeling lazy (or both if you're like me). 

August 2nd: Ice Cream Sandwich Day

"A balanced diet is an ice cream in each hand."

Now this is a Vancouver hidden gem! These aren't JUST ice cream sandwiches. These are BETA 5 ice cream sandwiches. Your summer can't be complete without these sweet treats. However, make sure you go early to buy them because they sell out like crazy.

August 3rd: Watermelon Day

chocolate
Arden Sarner

"Bask in the golden rays in the most summery way possible with these watermelon ice cream bowls."

Keep up with the summer heat waves by making these cute watermelon ice cream bowls, created by Arden Sarner! Frozen watermelon ice cream in an edible chocolate bowl is just what you need to cool off this season.

August 3rd: International Beer Day

CORONA photo by Cassiano Barletta (@cassianobarletta) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

"It's Beer:30, you're right on time."

Originally started in Santa Cruz, California, International Beer Day happens on the first Friday of August. Celebrate with your family and friends on August 3rd and kick off to a good start of the month!

August 4th: Chocolate Chip Cookie Day

chocolate, blueberry, cookie
Spoon Csu

"Yesterday, I really wanted cookies. Today, I am eating cookies. Follow your dreams."

Looks like somebody taste-tested and ranked 8 chocolate chip cookie recipes! Thanks to Jenna Moxley from College of Charleston, we know which recipe is the best! For some end-of-summer fun, you can even try out these recipes to create a rank of your own.

August 6th: Root Beer Float Day

coffee, milk, cream, chocolate, sweet, dairy product, ice, espresso
Tess Wei

"Don't say 'float' unless root beer is attached to it."

I am a drinks girl, so I am definitely going out to celebrate Root Beer Float Day. I remember when I had my first root beer float at Serious Pie in Seattle when I was 14-years-old and I just completely fell in love. I could not stop thinking about it after that.

August 10th: S'mores Day

chocolate, peanut butter, peanut, butter, cookie, sandwich
Lynden Orr

"Give your campfire treat a sweet upgrade."

How did I never think of these genius ways to make my s'mores even better? I can't decide which one I like the best, between number 1 and number 17. You're a hero, Elizabeth Goldish from Syracuse University!

August 19th: Soft Serve Ice Cream Day

"I never say no to an ice cream."

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy ice cream and that's the same thing, right? Check out Vancouver's first organic soft serve ice cream, Soft Peaks! Don't feel guilty about going on another cheat day because ice cream will never judge.

August 22nd: Peach Day

Ripe peaches on a tree photo by Ian Baldwin (@ianebaldwin) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

"Make every meal peachy keen." 🍑

I am very excited for this day because peaches are one of my favourite fruits. Thanks to Cherie Litvin from SUNY Binghamton, I finally know how I can eat peaches for every meal of the day. You know what's on my menu for tomorrow.

August 24th: Waffle Day

"I like hashtags because they look like waffles."

Dine in or grab these cute mini waffles to go! I'll have 10 of these, please. Nero Belgian Waffle Bar in Vancouver is always packed and busy all hours, but their waffles are worth the wait!

Lina Park

Krause Berry Farm is definitely one of my top favourite places in British Columbia, so I had to share another place that has good waffles. Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and more) are freshly picked at the farm and the waffle theme changes every day. They serve fresh hot berry waffles only in the summer -- make sure you get them before the season ends! 

August 25th: Banana Split Day

berry, sweet, strawberry, blueberry, pastry, raspberry, blackberry, cream, cake
Clarisse Callahan

"Sorry, I'm busy eating desserts today!"

It's already the end of the month and you might start thinking of all the sweets and drinks you had. Don't worry, Clarisse Callahan from Spoon University got you! Check out her super-easy healthy banana split recipe to end August on a good note! Enjoy your dessert-like-breakfast!

To find more food holidays in August, check out the complete list from Foodimentary!