Mardi Gras, otherwise known as Fat Tuesday, is a day to eat and drink everything in sight because Lent, a 40-day preparation for Easter, is coming the next day. Sounds like a day in heaven to me. Famous for their parade and parties, New Orleans throws it down like no one else. But if you can't make it to New Orleans for the big party, here are some easy ways to celebrate Mardi Gras from right where you are.

1. Dress The Part

Emma Fein

Find some purple, green, and gold and deck yourself out in lavish attire. You are royalty after all, and Mardi Gras likes to treat everyone like royalty. Most importantly, you need beads. Lots and lots of beads. If you plan on throwing a Mardi Gras soirée, be sure to have a DIY mask-making station.

2. Make a King Cake 

cake, chocolate
Mimi Takano

An essential dessert to Mardi Gras, King Cake can easily be made out of cinnamon rolls and some food dye. Check out this easy recipe that seems like you took it right out of NOLA. Don't forget to hide a plastic baby Jesus in your cake!

3. Make Some Drinks 

ice, alcohol, liquor, sweet, cocktail, juice, water
Margaret Weinberg

The more embellishment, the better. Remember, this is supposed to be a day of going all out, so don't skimp on the drinks. Whether it's a New Orleans-styled hurricane drink or a Fireball King Cake cocktail, it will be sure to make you feel like you are in Bourbon Street tossing beads.

4. Plan an Authentic Menu

lobster, crab, seafood, shellfish, fish, crayfish, shrimp, prawn
Grace Darrah

Crawfish boil, crab cakes, shrimp Étouffée, Pancakes, Dirty Rice and Milk Punch are what make Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday. Crawfish seems intimidating but don't let it stop you. The season of Lent calls for seafood, and you are ready to get that going with this super easy crab cake. Toss some Beignets on the table to make it feel like you just stepped into a true NOLA home.

5. Live It Up 

Madeline Schupak

Find a parade, or better yet make your own parade, throwing Doubloons out like it's candy. Get your friends together for just a reason to celebrate life. Why not eat your heart out. It's Fat Tuesday after all.