You've heard people tell you countless times to eat your fruits (and veggies) because they are important for your health. But have you ever thought about how much sugar is in the fruits constantly eat? That's right, the sugar content in fruit is pretty high (at least for some of them). Don't worry, it doesn't mean you should stop eating them.

Next time you try to cut back on your sugar intake, remember that adding a lot of fruit to your diet might not be the solution. Sure, fruit contains natural sugar while other foods typically have refined sugars. But fruit still contributes to your sugar intake— keep eating them, but maybe not as much.

Here's how the sugar content in your favorite fruits stack up.

1. Grapes

pork, barbecue, beef, meat
Naib Mian

Who knew such a tiny fruit to contain so much sugar? Eating just one cup of grapes means you're eating 23 grams of sugar (crazy, I know). With all the benefits that the antioxidants in grapes provide, it's kind of hard to kick them out of your diet. Just keep track of how much you're eating next time. 

2. Cherries

juice, sweet cherry, berry, sweet, cherry

Cherries contain so much fiber and vitamin C that it's surprising to hear that just one cup of this tasty fruit contains 20 grams of sugar. I'm not telling you to stop eating cherries, I'm just saying to stick to a serving.

3. Apples

apple, juice, sweet
Kristine Mahan

Your parents have probably told you a million times that an apple a day keeps the doctor away. But did they ever tell you that one medium-sized apple contains 19 grams of sugar (no joke)? On the bright side, apples are a great source of antioxidants and dietary fiber. All this fiber will make sure the sugar is absorbed slowly, providing a steady source of energy.

So don't let their sugar content scare you away.

4. Pineapple

breadfruit, sweet, pineapple, vegetable
Caroline Liu

One cup of pineapple contains 16 grams of sugar— that's more than you would eat in one container of Trader Joe's Vanilla Bean greek yogurt. But don't let that number turn you away, this fruit is still filled with a good amount of vitamin C and magnesium. So the good definitely outweighs the bad.

5. Blueberries

blackberry, bilberry, sweet, blueberry, pasture, berry

Blueberries are filled with vitamin C, potassium and fiber that can help fight bad cholesterol. But, you might not know that one small cup of these berries contains 15 grams of sugar. Since they're so tasty to snack on it's easier to go overboard. Keep track of your snacking to keep your sugar consumption within recommendations.

6. Bananas 

dairy product, sweet
Delissa Handoko

This might shock you, but one banana contains 14 grams of sugar— that's a lot! After hearing that, you might be ready to quit your banana habit, but think about all the other things they have to offer like potassium, magnesium and fiber. Plus, they're a great post-workout snack to help prevent your muscles from cramping. They're a safe snack to keep around.

7. Oranges (Tie) 

grapefruit, lemon, tangerine, sweet, citrus, juice
Marlee Goldman

One orange contains 13 grams of sugar. Let's get passed all of that and focus on the good things it provides for your bodies. They're a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium, fiber and potassium. Oranges provide many vitamins and minerals that are essential for your health.

You don't want to miss out on these nutritional benefits, but remember that binging on this sweet fruit isn't the best idea.

7. Peaches (Tie) 

peach, juice, apple, sweet
Sarah Strohl

Peaches are the perfect summertime fruit, but one medium-sized peach carries 13 grams of sugar. Maybe, that's why they're so sweet. They're also a great source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, so it's best we keep enjoying them as our summertime snack. 

8. Watermelon 

juice, sweet, melon, watermelon

This might beat out peaches for the best summertime snack— for tastiness and for sugar content. One cup of watermelon contains 9 grams of sugar (not so bad when compared to the others in this list). Watermelon is about 92% water, but somehow is still filled with many vitamins and minerals that are necessary for your body to function. So, keep snacking in the summer. 

9. Strawberries

strawberry, salad
Cali Kinimaka

There's 7 grams of sugar in one cup of strawberries. That might sound like a lot, but not that much compared to other fruits. Strawberries offer a good amount folate, vitamin C, fiber and potassium— exactly what we need for a healthy life

10. Raspberries

strawberry, sweet, raspberry, berry
Alexandra Tringali

In one cup of raspberries there are only 5 grams of sugar. When thinking about, it's really not that much. This fruit is filled with strong antioxidants— so why not add another cup to your morning smoothie?

Although all of these fruits are healthier options than packaged snacks and treats, they do contain natural sugars, that can really add up. Don't stop eating your favorite fruits, but remember that exceeding the serving size can come with a hefty amount of sugar. Make sure to balance out how much of them you're eating so you're not overdoing it on your daily sugar intake.