I think the worst part of being an adult is the slow, creeping realization that literally everything has to be cleaned, and no one else is going to do it for you. Toasters, pillowcases, purses, phones, and of course, water bottles. You name it, you have to clean it. It’s exhausting!

With the rise of trendy reusable water bottles, many of us (including me) have ended up with quite a few in our collections. And that’s generally a good thing, because these bottles are better for the environment, help keep us hydrated, and are super cute and fun. But you know what’s less cute and fun? When they get all gross and smelly. And then there’s the (not cute and fun at all) risk of contracting diseases from an unclean water bottle.

So yeah, you should definitely be cleaning your water bottles, and often. Experts say you should clean reusable water bottles at least daily, and sanitize them at least once a week. That is…a lot. So when I heard about the self-cleaning water bottle, I was intrigued. Honestly, self-cleaning anything sounds pretty awesome.

What is a self-cleaning water bottle?

Self-cleaning water bottles use UV technology to kill any bacteria, viruses, or microorganisms that could make you sick. Because yes, your water bottle is a breeding ground for bacteria (*sighs*). The UV rays destroy the molecular bonds that hold together the DNA of viruses and bacteria, Insider reports. This is great, because it kills bacteria without toxic chemicals. Yay science! However, the UV light doesn’t remove heavy metals, dirt, or sediment. So maybe stick to tap water, and don’t try to fill up at the local stream.

According to reviews, these self-cleaning bottles work pretty well. No funky smell or filmy build up (BTW, if you need motivation to clean your normal water bottle, try sticking your nose in it). You do have to charge the caps, which contain the UV lights, but only every few weeks.

How much does a self-cleaning water bottle cost?

All this fancy schmancy tech sounds kinda expensive, so you might be wondering how much a new self-cleaning water bottle will set you back. These bottles generally cost between $50-$100. The LARQ Bottle PureVis, one of the most popular options, goes for around $99. That's pretty steep considering how often I lose water bottles. However, if your water bottles are more likely to get gross than lost, and you have some cash to spare, the self-cleaning water bottle might just be for you. If not, here’s our guide to cleaning your normal, non technology enhanced water bottle (because trust us, it’s gross, and needs a clean).