The cooler months of the year are all about comfort, and there's something about food that brings out a sense of serenity in people.

Unfortunately, a lot of the "comfort food" recipes that make us happy use animal products, which are often times procured in unhappy ways.

Don't worry, though—these vegan recipes are your mix-and-match guide to meatless meals cozier than that first PSL. Plus, what's more comforting than knowing your meal didn't hurt any animals in the process of being made?

Appetizers

For those of us who don't have the patience to wait for the main attraction.

Vegan Corn Bread

Maddie Stanley

If you're anything like me, you feel like corn bread is an entirely separate (and important) food group in itself. This vegan dish can be whipped up in less than an hour with ingredients you (probably) already have.

Vegan Mac and Cheese

macaroni, cheese, sauce, pasta
Missy Miller

Okay, so technically, I guess, this is a side, but I would shovel mac and cheese into my mouth before every meal if I could.

Vegan Carrot Soup

pasture, vegetable, carrot
Annelise Vought

Nothing warms the soul like a bowl of warm soup on a cold day, and the sweet simplicity of a healthy soup made of carrots is enough to satisfy anyone, vegan and carnivore alike.

Sweet Potato Chili Cheese Fries

potato, sweet, sweet potato
Jessica DiFoggio

Just because you're eating vegan doesn't mean you can't have (vegan) chili cheese fries! These are the perfect before-dinner treat, combining sweet, spicy, and savory, with the nostalgia-inducing quality chili cheese fries have on us all.

Entrees

Try not to drool too much.

Maple Glazed Stuffed Squash

rice, sweet, pumpkin, vegetable, squash, acorn squash
Kendra Valkema

Squash is the vegetable equivalent of a hug, and the flavor of maple is oh-so-cozy. This is the perfect dish to make when you're craving something earthy (and full of nutritious veggies).

Vegan Curried Butternut Squash Soup

vegetable, sweet, cream, soup
Sarah Silbiger

Butternut squash soup is a gift from an otherworldly power, honestly. A sweet, thick soup that warms you almost as much as that puffy coat your mom always told you to wear.

Sweet Potato, Kale, and Chickpea Bowl

potato, kale, squash, sweet, sweet potato
Megan Prendergast

This dish is full of protein and hearty vegetables, the perfect way to make sure that you're getting a healthy amount of nutrients and cozy autumnal flavors in one meal.

Vegan Pesto Spaghetti Squash Bake

sauce, pasta, cheese, vegetable
Kristine Mahan

This masterpiece is a cross between lasagna and baked ziti, and is perfect for anyone trying to stay away from refined flours found all too often in pasta. Plus, this pesto feeds nine people with some spaghetti squash and a few other ingredients.

Dessert

"This is what you came for." - Rihanna, referring to the dessert table (probably).

5-Ingredient Vegan Cinnamon Rolls

cake, bread, dough, cinnamon, sweet, pastry
Kyrstie Brown

Perfect for breakfast or to wrap up a meal, these cinnamon rolls are delightfully easy to make, with only five ingredients, and come out of the oven looking Insta-worthy.

Vegan Almond Pecan Brownies

pastry, goody, brownie, cream, cake, sweet, candy, chocolate
Emily Stamp

There's something truly magical about a batch of warm brownies, and eating them is like receiving a hug from the inside. The festiveness of the nuts in these rich chocolate brownies makes them the perfect treat. 

Vegan Eggnog

chocolate, sweet, espresso, cream, cappuccino, milk, coffee
Kristine Mahan

I absolutely love eggnog—it's not the holiday season for me without it. However, it's full of animal products, added sugars, and chemicals (yuck). Thankfully, this easy vegan eggnog brings the custard-y deliciousness of the holiday beverage in a good-for-you cup of comfort.

Vegan Pumpkin Bread

chocolate, bread
Vivian Armitage

A great dessert as well as a take-home gift, and your non-vegan friends won't even be able to tell the difference! A great recipe to make once pumpkin goes on sale after Christmas.

Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte

sweet, cream, chocolate, cappuccino, milk, espresso, coffee
Kristine Mahan

Simply put, it isn't really fall without a PSL.

So what have we learned? Good food doesn't revolve around meat, butter, cream, etc., and you can actually eat well and compassionately. Make something from this list for your next Friendsgiving and you won't have to feel so guilty when you watch those cute baby cow videos on Facebook.