Nothing quite warms the soul like carrot soup. Amidst the cold winter days, a bowl of thick, hearty, and a little bit spicy, soup takes the edge off winter, and makes you feel whole again. This creamy carrot turmeric soup is guaranteed to do just that, and it appeals to everyone – vegetarians, vegans and carnivores alike! I’ll make it on the weekends and store it in mason jars to carry me through lunch for the week. It also freezes well, so you’ll never be without some spicy, soul-warming sustenance. The thickness of the soup can be adjusted by adding more or less vegetable broth. Serve it with toasted cashews or pine nuts, crackers or crusty bread and sliced avocado for a nourishing and nutritious meal.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: about 30 minutes
Total Time: About an hour

Servings: 4-6 (depending on if it’s served as a main dish or side dish)

1 bag of carrots
2 small sweet potatoes
1 large onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon fresh ginger
2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon curry power
Cayenne pepper to taste (a few healthy shakes worth)
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil
3-4 cups vegetable broth (depending on how thin you like your soup)
1-2 cups coconut milk (depending on how creamy you like your soup)
Lime wedge

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Wash and chop carrots, onions and peeled sweet potatoes in 1″ pieces and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.

carrot soup

Photo by Viola Spahiu

3. Roast for 30 – 40 min, or until onions are golden and the vegetables are easily pricked with a fork.

carrot soup

Photo by Viola Spahiu

4. Once your vegetables are roasted, add olive oil (about 1-2 Tbsp), grated ginger, and whole garlic cloves to a pot over medium heat.
5. Sauté for a minute, adding in turmeric, curry and cayenne pepper until a paste forms (you might need to add a little broth here to hydrate the mix).

carrot soup

Photo by Viola Spahiu

carrot soup

Photo by Viola Spahiu

6. Add roasted onions, carrots, sweet potatoes and broth to the spice mix and let it simmer for 5 minutes.

carrot soup

Photo by Viola Spahiu

7. Blend contents of the pot using an immersion blender or transfer the mixture into a blender (in batches if necessary).

carrot soup

Photo by Viola Spahiu

8. Add in 1-2 cups of coconut milk (until you reach your desired level of creaminess).

carrot soup

Photo by Viola Spahiu

9. Finish off with a squeeze of lime juice, and salt to taste.

carrot soup

Photo by Viola Spahiu

Because this soup is guaranteed to put you on a carrot kick: