I am fond of cold beverages, even hot ones for that matter (coffee ftw!). I feel the need to wash down every meal with a light yet refreshing drink. More often than not, that drink turns out to be soda, which is loaded with sugar and caffeine. As tempting as drinking soda is, it's an open invitation to a number of health problems like obesity and bone damage. 

soda, juice, beverage, beer
Kristine Mahan

I was trying hard to reduce my soda consumption and in that process, I found several low-calorie substitutes. I've got to say, these low-calorie healthy drinks taste way better than soda and rejuvenate my body at the same time. Talk about a win-win situation. Since I'm a good human being, I'll honor you with a peek at my list.

1. Green Tea

Shreya Sahni

Packed with the goodness of antioxidants and rich in flavor, green tea is probably the best replacement for unhealthy and sugar ridden drinks. Not only does it contain fewer calories, it also helps to burn calories if you drink it regularly.

2. Lemonade 

juice, sweet, lemon, mint, lemonade, citrus, cream

This tangy citrus-infused drink is a cure for dull, humid days. The best part about it is, you can customize it any which way. You can make it more or less sour, salty or sugary. I'd recommend using less amount of sugar or substituting it with honey or jaggery powder for a healthier (equally zestful) drink. 

3. Soy Milk

water, tea, milk
Alex Frank

Soy Milk contains a vast amount of protein and fiber, which helps to reduce bad cholesterol and boost health. Go for unsweetened soy milk if you want to avoid added sugar. 

4. Coffee

coffee, espresso, cappuccino, mocha

If you weren't aware, coffee has almost zero calories. Not only does this drink smell divine and help to re-energize your brain, but a cup of hot black coffee in the morning can act as a catalyst in losing weight. 

5. Coconut Water

Bhavya Bansal

A popular and easily available pick, coconut water is extremely beneficial for health because it contains enzymes that help to build and repair body's cells. Plus, you can scrape off the pulp inside and eat it (which is super nutritious, FYI) after you're done drinking the water.

6. Smoothie

blueberry, smoothie, yogurt, berry
Jessica Farber

I cannot possibly think of any beverage as delicious and healthy as a smoothie. It's super easy to make, and you can play around with the ingredients to suit your taste. All you need is fruits, yogurt and a pinch of imagination. 

Now you have a plethora of beverages to choose over soda. Stay hydrated, kids!