Winter is here, and by that I mean winter term. It’s also the time when Hamilton’s one and only Common Grounds introduces milkshakes into their menu. Common Grounds has the original 3 Neapolitan flavors of strawberry, chocolate and vanilla offered each week with an additional specialty milkshake, too. Though freshman are understandably obsessing over CG’s milkshakes, which are made with organic local ice cream, the sugar intensity is definitely no friend to your health. If you’re looking looking for something a little healthier to drink, here are 5, I repeat, FIVE, other drinks that will help you avoid the dreaded #Freshman15.

1. Water

milkshakes

Photo by Lindsey Epifano

We all know that water’s healthy. It helps to flush out toxins and balance the body’s fluids. And, with a lemon slice or cucumber in the mix, it’s a total party. Definitely a go-to drink that helps energize your muscles. Like a good Beyoncé song, it pumps you up. Fresh, chilling and cool in just one drink.

2. Tea

milkshakes

Photo by Lindsey Epifano

Tea has antioxidants and can help combat sickness or help you amp up for studying. It’s a great way to get energy without drinking a sugary Red Bull. Tea is the cousin of water, with just a little bit of kick to spice up your life. Take this orange peach ginger tea concoction from Global Scholars Hall. It’s a drink that’s going to warm your soul.

3. Carrot Juice

milkshakes

Photo by Lindsey Epfiano

Yes, I know, drinking vegetables is the future. And this juice is pure carrot juice. And I mean straight out of the blender with all the orange pulpy stuff carrot juice. A shot of this stuff energizes you like no other and you’re getting some natural vitamin C, a serving of vegetables and vitamins to improve your eyesight all in one. Just remember to chase it down with a good orange slice afterward. As DJ Khaled would say, #blessed.

4. Fruit Smoothies

milkshakes

Photo by Lindsey

Global Scholars Hall is also making up some rad healthy smoothies too, like this immunity smoothie made with strawberries, mangos, raspberries and a dash of apple juice. Not only are you getting your daily dose of fruits, but you’re also avoiding artificial sugars.

5. Italian Soda

milkshakes

Photo by Lindsey Epifano

It’s basically just sparking water and syrup. Nothing much to it. It’s got enough sugar to give you a kick, but not enough to make you achieve that ultimate freshman 15 status. It’s the kid of soda, not allowed that much sugar but enough to get hyped up for a few hours.

Just remember, think before you try to get that CG milkshake. There’s a lot of other healthier alternatives out there. Drink smart Oregon.