As someone who has lived in New York City for a couple years and works in food media, there's a question that plagues me by people who come and visit.

"Oh, you must know all the great spots to eat. Where should I go?"

Somehow I always blank when asked. All the amazing and delicious places I've ever been to scurry out of my mind, and I can't think of a single recommendation. After some serious think time pushed by an upcoming permanent move out of New York, this list is my answer. With just a few weeks left in this place, I wanted to compile all my favorite spots to eat so I could try them one more time — my food farewell to a city that I love. 

By no means is this an exhaustive list. There are tens of thousands of restaurants in New York City, and I haven't even tried one percent of them. This is simply a collective of my go-to's. After spending several years on and off in (arguably) the best city in the world, these are my top spots, the places worth second trips to, and the best dishes to order. 

Yasouvlaki for their pork gyro

Felicia LaLomia

This was my repeat neighborhood spot on the Upper East Side. For $20, I could get a huge platter of seasoned pork, crispy fries, Greek Tabouli, toasted pita, tzatziki, and yasou sauce. It was easily two meals and satisfied every craving.

Yasouvlaki, 1568 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10128

La Ñapa for their arepas

Felicia LaLomia

There aren't many things I wouldn't do for these arepas. They are easily in my top five favorite things I've ever eaten. The best is the chorizo as the fat get absorbed into the crispy cornmeal pancakes, and there's a perfect cheese pull bite with every bite. It's the kind of meal/sandwich that once you pick up, you can't put down. It's so messy that if you put it down, you'll loose all control of it, but it's also so delicious, you don't want to.

La Ñapa, 656 Nostrand Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11216

El Encebollado de Rossy for their tigrillo

After spending a year on exchange in Ecuador living on the coast, I fell head over heels for their breakfast staple tigrillo. It's made with fried green plantains, chicharron, cheese, and fried eggs. So I was so excited when I lived in Ridgewood, Queens and was surrounded by several Ecuadorian restaurants. My favorite was El Encebollado de Rossy. In fact, every time I went there, I was so eager to eat it that I never took any photos. So you'll just have to trust me.

El Encebollado de Rossy, 238 Wyckoff Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11237

Barboncino for their pizza, but more importantly, their arugula salad

Looking for a brick oven pizza that will blow your mind? You have to go to Barboncino. I love their classic Marg pie, but the speck white pie is also a go-to. For a totally underrated menu item, try the arugula salad. It's simple: arugula, marinated tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, and a balsamic vinaigrette. But that's its beauty. The simplicity makes it delicious. Also, get there early, because there's often a wait.

Barboncino Pizza, 781 Franklin Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11238

Upside Pizza for their perfect pepperoni cups

Felicia LaLomia

Asking someone their favorite pizza slice in New York is like asking someone their favorite TV show. It's highly personal and everyone has a different opinion. I mean, this is the second pizza place on this list, but I like them both for different reasons. One day, I was craving a crispy pepperoni slice. I wanted the meat slices to be small so they would curl and crisp up in the oven, pooling their fat and grease inside. Enter Upside. This pizza joint has several locations around the city, but my favorite is the one near Bryant Park. In the summer, you can order a pie and take it to the park with a blanket. 

Upside Pizza, 20 E 40th St, New York, NY 10016

Los Tacos No. 1 for their adobada tacos and horchata

Felicia LaLomia

Okay, so this one you may already know about. They have several locations throughout the city and a line that sometimes wraps around the block. But Los Tacos is worth the wait. I don't mess around. To me, the adobada tacos are the best (pork with pineapple). I order three and a horchata to wash it all down. Nothing brings me more serotonin. 

Los Tacos No. 1, 136 Church St, New York, NY 10007

New Wonjo for their Korean BBQ

Felicia LaLomia

For third dates and lunch breaks, I recommend Korean BBQ. It gives you something to do with your hands while pushing through that last bit of awkwardness date number three can bring (IMO, the first two dates should never be dinner). And New Wonjo has very quick service, perfect for an hour in the work day. 

New Wonjo, 23 W 32nd St, New York, NY 10001

Ichiran for their ramen

Felicia LaLomia

I know I've said this for a few places on this list, but Ichiran will always have a wait. It really doesn't matter the time of day, year, or weather, you will be waiting outside for a seat. But their tonkotsu ramen served at solo booths is soul-warming, best enjoyed in the winter after standing out in the cold for too long.

Ichiran, 132 W 31st St, New York, NY 10001

The Stumble Inn for their buffalo wings

Felicia LaLomia

I pride myself on knowing good wings. Here are my professional qualifications:

1. Wings are one of my favorite foods.

2. I am from Upstate New York, a region prides itself on the food.

Finding good ones in New York City is hard. Especially unfussy wings. That's why I love the buffalo wings from the Stumble Inn. It's a casual sports bar that happens to serve great wings. These are on the dry side, making them extra crispy, and the sauce has a nice tang to it. 

The Stumble Inn, 1454 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10021

Tomiño Taberna Gallega for their pulpo

Felicia LaLomia

If octopus is on the menu, it's almost a guarantee that I will order it. It's one of those things I won't make at home, but when a restaurant does it right, it's *chef's kiss.* And the pulpo al feira at Tomiño Taberna Gallega is so tender, a little smoky, and very snackable (if you can call octopus a snack?). The Galician restaurant also has amazing pan con tomate and sangria. 

Tomiño Taberna Gallega, 192 Grand St, New York, NY 10013