Watermelon as we know and love is one of the most cherished fruits of the summer season. Just imagine the sweet juice running down your fingers as you take the first bite into a piece of watermelon on a scorching summer day—it seriously doesn't get any better than that. Even if you (tragically) aren't a huge believer in this magical fruit, you may reconsider the amount of faith you place in its versatility when you discover these insanely creative ways to use watermelon this summer. 

1. Watermelon Ice Cream Bowls

chocolate
Arden Sarner

Say hello to summer with these adorable watermelon ice cream bowls. This recipe takes a traditional summertime treat to a whole new level. Edible candy bowls house servings of watermelon-infused ice cream (yes, you can eat the bowl when you're done). The dessert is then topped with chocolate chips, resembling the black seeds that are found in the actual fruit. Can they be any cuter?

2. Watermelon Summer Cake

sweet, chocolate
Samantha Ho

The words "refreshing" and "cake" don't typically belong in the same sentence, but this watermelon summer cake totally changes the game. Here's what happens: A giant watermelon is smothered in Cool Whip and adorned with more fresh, colorful fruit. Sliced almonds are also sprinkled on the outside, providing a crunchier texture that contrasts the smooth and creamy frosting. Our time has finally come, friends—the watermelon gods have blessed us with a *healthy* cake.

3. Watermelon Lemonade

watermelon, ice, juice, strawberry, sorbet, cocktail, lemonade
Abigail Shipps

This is about as tasty as hydration gets. With only two ingredients, this watermelon lemonade is the perfect way to keep yourself cooled off and replenished this season. This drink doesn't contain the unnecessary sugar that you'd find in store-bought lemonade, so it won't be overwhelmingly sweet. Now you have the perfect beverage to crack a cold one with the boys (or girls!). 

#SpoonTip: If you love this drink, you'll probably want to try this watermelon mojito.

4. Watermelon Sorbet

If you stretch your imagination and put in a little elbow grease, watermelons and lemons alone can make a dessert that is meant for the summer. Honestly, the hardest part of making this watermelon sorbet is just cubing the watermelon—after that, all you have to do is pop the cubes in the freezer, blend them with lemon juice and lemon zest, and voila! Your sorbet is served.

5. Watermelon, Feta, and Mint Summer Salad

salad, tomato, vegetable, pepper, watermelon, cheese
Libby Perold

Who else is tired of the same old leafy mixes over and over again? Regular salad is way overrated anyway—the spotlight has transitioned to shine on this elegant summer salad. This is probably the easiest salad you'll ever make, as the recipe only calls for three ingredients (I bet you could guess what they are). Each ingredient provides a contrasting flavor dynamic that places this dish above and beyond the ordinary salad mixes you buy from the store.

6. Watermelon Salsa

salsa, pepper, mango, vegetable, onion
Caroline Grew

Two worlds collide to create the ultimate crossover dish rooted in tradition and freshened with tropical fruits. In this watermelon salsa, the watermelon actually replaces the tomatoes, making for a slightly sweeter salsa. The unique flavor combination produces a subtle tang that lights up the dish and makes every bite worth savoring.

7. Watermelon Cooler

watermelon, juice, sweet, melon
Kathleen Lee

Whether poolside or inside, there is no way you can go wrong with these insanely refreshing watermelon coolers. They can double as margarita mixers, chasers for shots, or bases for alcoholic popsicles—the possibilities are practically endless. No matter what you choose to do with these cooling drinks, they are sure to be enjoyed by everyone.

8. Fresh Mozzarella Watermelon Skewers

Chicken and veggie kabobs are typically everyone's favorite at a summer BBQ, but these innovative mozzarella watermelon kabobs completely blow them out of the water. Watermelon scoops and fresh mozzarella balls are alternated on a skewer and drizzled with a delectable honey lime mixture. How's that for a crowd favorite? 

9. Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles 

Popsicles aren't just for kids, folks. With these strawberry watermelon popsicles, you can easily relive all your favorite childhood memories. Not only are they nostalgic and fun to eat, but they also naturally balance your electrolytes (take that, Gatorade).

Turning a few simple ingredients into legendary summery treats is made simple when considering these unique ways to use watermelon. You may not have a watermelon addiction like I do, but anybody could enjoy spicing up their regular summertime routines with these light and fruity recipes.