Who doesn't love watermelon? It's the quintessential summer fruit. Cutting a watermelon, however, can be pretty intimidating for someone who has never done it before. But don't worry because I have all the tips on how to cut a watermelon into cubes.

Even though you will only find seedless watermelons in the store, unlike the seeded watermelons of the summers of my childhood, it is still a great summer treat. It's refreshing on a hot day and perfect for saladsdrinks or even sandwiches

Cubed Watermelon

• Prep Time:1 min

• 1 watermelon
  • Chef's knife
  • Cutting board
melon, watermelon, cantaloupe, vegetable
Kara Schiaparelli

Cut a thin slice off of one side of the watermelon. This will stabilize it, so the watermelon does not move when you are trying to cut it.

melon, watermelon, vegetable, cucumber
    Kara Schiaparelli

Laying the watermelon on the cut side, slice the watermelon into 1 to 1-1/2 inch slices. Use a large, sharp Chef's knife and a firm slicing motion.

watermelon, melon
    Kara Schiaparelli

One slice at a time, trim the rind off of the watermelon. You might find it easier if you cut the slices into semicircles at this point. Remember to keep your hand away from the knife because the watermelon can get slippery.

watermelon, melon
    Kara Schiaparelli

Chop the watermelon into 1 to 1-1/2 inch cubes.

watermelon
    Kara Schiaparelli

Enjoy a delicious bowl of the refreshing watermelon.

watermelon, sweet, vegetable, melon
    Kara Schiaparelli

The hardest part about cutting a watermelon is making sure that your hands are safely away from the knife. If you're worried about that, just make sure that you brush up on your knife skills and get yourself a good knife

Now that you have your cubed watermelon you can do just about anything with it. You can make some juice or a margarita, or maybe even some salsa. It is a truly versatile food that I could personally eat all year long, never mind all summer long.