Sadly, we are past the stage in life where "eeny meeny miny moe" works to make good decisions on big purchases. Buying your first set of real adult kitchen knives can be a big and pricey decision especially when you don't know what to look for. I found this guide to kitchen knives was a great first stop on my journey to learning how to use a knife.

After we've read up on the right knives to get, it's time to master those knife skills we've been dreaming about. Here are a few tips that will have you chopping onions without chopping off fingers and with perfect speed and Harry Potter magic-like precision.

1. Hold the knife correctly

gif
Jessi Jordan

Your new knife is your friend. Hold it like you are shaking hands with the handle. Use your dominant hand to hold the knife. Your index finger should be on the flat side of the blade and your remaining fingers should firmly grip the handle just below the blade.

#SpoonTip: When you first buy your knives they will be sharp, but over time it's super important to sharpen them and keep them sharp. Dull knives can easily slip, and you’re actually more likely to be extra careful when dealing with a sharper blade.

2. Hold the food with your free hand

Your free hand should be your non-dominant hand and should be used to guide and grip the food along the cutting board. Make a claw by keeping your fingers curled inward and grip the food with your fingernails to keep your fingertips out of harm's way. The side of the knife blade should then rest gently against the first knuckle of your hand to keep the blade upright as you chop, slice, and dice.

3. Chop and Push

At first, chopping may feeling like trying to rub your belly and pat your head at the same time, but with patience and practice you'll master it. The trick here is to push the food along with your non-dominant hand while chopping with your dominant, knife-holding hand. Ensure you slice away from your hand and keep your fingers clear of the blade.

When dicing or mincing, keep the tip of your knife in contact with the cutting board and move the handle up and down quickly, making sure to keep your fingers well out of the way. Also, it's a great idea to secure your cutting board to your counter by placing a damp towel under it so it doesn’t move around while you work.

Now that you know how to use a knife, you're ready to chop like the pros.