When it comes to snackage, we’ve been conditioned to pantries of processed munchies, artificial colors, and sugary desserts on-the-go that expire far beyond our graduation dates. When you need something quick to hold you down until after class, you may feel like healthy snacks have limited options.

Eating right does NOT mean eating less. When trying to maintain a healthy diet, one of the worst things you can do to wreck your metabolism is allow yourself to go hungry. You will end up tired, sluggish, hangry, and more likely to binge later.

Eating more nutritious foods throughout the day, in smaller portions, will help keep blood sugar levels under control — which means more control over cravings and an active metabolism. The key is treating food for what it is: fuel. That means supplying your body with protein, fiber, healthy fats and good carbohydrates, rather than empty calories and added sugar that will make you crash later.

Bottom line is if you’re hungry, you should simply listen to your body and eat. So if you’re looking for something to satisfy an empty stomach, these healthy snacks have nutrients that keep you feeling full and energized until your next meal.

1. Almond Butter Oat Protein Balls

Photo by Keni Lin

There are only four ingredients in these creamy and chocolatey (assuming you choose chocolate protein powder) no-bake balls. The added protein and healthy fat content found in the almond butter is sure to help keep you full all day long, and the oats are a good source of complex carbohydrates. It takes up to 10 minutes top to roll the ingredients, and then an hour in the fridge, but no one will blame you for wanting to snag a truffle right away.

2. Basic Avocado Toast

healthy snacks

Photo courtesy of @missathensfoodie on Instagram

In two minutes or less, you can enjoy a vitamin-packed spread on multigrain. There’s a reason that this viral superfood combo is gaining so much attention. The monounsaturated fat found in avocados not only make it a better alternative for butter, but per avocado, there’s about eight grams of fiber (plus added fiber from the multigrain toast) to keep you full, but not too full of you-know-what for too long.

3. Edamame

Photo by Kristine Mahan

This common sushi appetizer is great for snacking on the go. Pop them straight from the shell, or microwave a frozen bag of them unshelled from Trader Joe’s, but don’t underestimate these little beans. Just one half-cup serving has about 11 grams of protein. I like to keep mine simple by adding a pinch of kosher salt when I’m craving something salty, but you can always try giving it a refreshing boost of citrus or a cheesy twist with parmesan.

4. Avocado Oil Chips

healthy snacks

Photo courtesy of @bouldercanyon on Instagram

That’s right, I’m considering these chips healthy, or at least healthier than your typical bags, which are higher in sodium and saturated fat. As stated earlier, avocado oil is mainly monounsaturated fat that is less likely to contribute to heart disease and cholesterol problems.

My go-to is Boulder Canyon Authentic Foods Avocado Oil Canyon Cut in Sea Salt (but I also recommend Jalapeño if you like a little kick). They’re all natural, gluten free, and you don’t have to question what’s in them because there’s only three ingredients: potatoes, avocado oil, and sea salt. If you truly can’t resist the crunchy and buttery sensation of potato chips, this underrated snack might be your new best friend.

5. Greek Yogurt Parfait Popsicles

Photo by Jackie Kuczynski

A night in the freezer is enough magic to turn a healthy breakfast classic into a fruity and creamy dessert. While Greek yogurt may be thicker than regular yogurt, it brags comparably less carbohydrates and sugar (specifically lactose) with more protein and fiber. Regular popsicles might leave you unsatisfied, while just one of these babies will keep you cool and fueled.

6. Sweet Potato Fries

Photo by Amanda Gajdosik

They make take some prep and cook time, but these sweet and salty fries are totally worth it, and you can take them with you anywhere. Sweet potatoes contain an ample amount of carbs, but rate relatively low on the glycemic index. When you’re craving fast food, opt for these instead.

7. Frozen Grapes

Photo by Lisa Gong

Nature’s Skittles taste even sweeter and have a slight crisp when frozen. While one regular package of candy can have over 40 grams of sugar and zero grams of fiber, one full cup of frozen grapes has around 40 percent less sugar and 0.8 grams of fiber. They’re also sure to keep you hydrated, which can temporarily reduce hunger. And, because they’re frozen, they take longer to eat, encouraging mindful eating practices.

8. Banana Oat Cookies

Photo by Maia Vernacchia

The original recipe labels them as breakfast cookies, but they’re the perfect treat for any time of day. The two main ingredients in these cookies, bananas and oats, are both high in dietary fiber, and two cookies contain more than four grams of protein. For more effective results, choose all natural ingredients when making them. Plus, the bananas and agave make it easy to avoid adding sugar, so you know these cookies are clean. They’ll keep you fuller longer and regular, which is more than Little Debbie can say.

9. Green Smoothies

healthy snacks

Photo by Samantha Fehd

Instagram-worthy, healthy, and filled with antioxidants, green smoothies are full of fiber and well, whatever else you decide to throw in. Choose from your favorite fruits, add greens like kale or spinach, milk or dairy substitutes, and optional add-ins like protein powder, turmeric, or chia or flax seeds. If you want a thicker smoothie bowl, use less liquid, sub frozen fruits for ice, and add honey or agave. The blended possibilities are infinite (now there’s even an app with up to 100 smoothie recipes if you’re low on ideas), so I encourage you to venture on your own smoothie expedition.

#SpoonTip: Use a lot of citrus. Not only will you be adding more antioxidants, but acidic juice from limes, lemons, or oranges will balance out the bitter, leafy aftertaste.