Fruits are an integral part of our diets. In fact, nutritionists recommend that we consume a minimum of 2.5 cups of fruits a day. But sometimes eating an apple a day or a handful of berries gets boring. This is where I come in with a list of Central American fruits you should try at least once. These fruits are native to the region and are not commonly found in other parts of the world. They are also colorful, fresh, and full of impeccable flavors. 

1. Lychee

Lychee is mainly found in parts of Latin America. It also has a lot of health benefits as it is packed with vitamin C, vitamin B6, niacin, riboflavin, copper and more nutrients. The sweetness of the smooth white flesh that sets it apart, making it one of a kind.

#SpoonTip: Only the white center is meant to be eaten. 

2. Prickly Pear

The next time you're sipping on that prickly pear margarita, remember that it's also a fruit. This popular Central American fruit comes from a cactus, and though you can eat it raw, you could also use it to make a velvety ice cream.

3. Guava 

juice, apple, vegetable, pasture
Lissane Kafie

Guavas, like that boy who won't text you back, are hard on the outside and soft on the inside. The inside of this tough treat is embedded with numerous seeds that give a little crunch to an otherwise soft interior.

#SpoonTip: If you want add a little pop to this fruit make it into a Passion Fruit and Guava Pop. 

4. Mangosteen

rambutan, lychee, purple mangosteen, sweet
Delaney Coleman

Though mangosteen is more common in Southeast Asia, it's also found in parts of Columbia and Puerto Rico. This was my go-to fruit as kid on the beach as it is refreshing, soothing, and packed with bold flavor. 

5. Dragon Fruit

Yellow Dragon Fruit is found in Central America. It has a prickly dragon-like exterior and is slightly bland in taste. The feeling of freshness after every bite makes you just long for more, though. 

6. Mamey Sapote

Mamey Sapote is one exotic Central American fruit that tastes dope. Though it looks like a sweet potato, it's creamy and sweet on the inside.

7. Cape Gooseberry

Cape gooseberries may look mundane, but they are surprisingly, they quite sour. The charming orange color, the miniature size, and the sudden burst of tanginess after each bite make it a real delight.

8. Guanabana 

Guanabana is also known as the Custard Apple. Though it tastes nothing like custard or an apple, this fruit is messy to eat, chewy to swallow, but so very sweet. 

9. Sweet Granadilla 

Sweet Granadilla is a type of passion fruit found in Central America. This unique fruit is citrusy yet slimy and can be squeezed into a tall glass of juice. 

The next time you cannot pick between a mango and banana, dive deeper into the supermarket's produce section and give one these other Central American fruits a good try. They'll be tricky to find in the US, but if you can get your hands on them, you should buy them.