For those lucky ones who find themselves committed in long-term relationships, the stakes are high for keeping the spark lit within the relationship. Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to overcome any rut in a relationship (or keep a hot one even hotter…let’s be optimistic here!). First step: set a sexy, romantic mood. Dim the lights or light vanilla scented candles, and play a little Sinatra in the background if at home. If you’re dining out, research restaurants that offer Valentine’s Day dinner specials that come with flowers or champagne and boast an elegant, relaxed environment.

While atmosphere is important, don’t underestimate the power of food. The aphrodisiac elements found in these 8 foods will reve you up and make you extra frisky. Prepare these dishes at home for you and your mate, or order them on your night out.

1. Chile Peppers

These red, hot peppers increase blood circulation and fire up your mojo. The capsaicin of red chile peppers heats the body and may induce sweating (keep an extra napkin by your side in case the sweat goes from sexy to scary). Drizzle Tabasco sauce on your meat, or toss some in a salad.

spice up your valentine's day

Photo by Stephanie Lee

2. Avocados

Their rich vitamin E content helps produce key sex hormones, such as testosterone, progesterone and estrogen. Omega 3 fatty acids also aid in hormone production. Plus, they have been shown to shape a positive mood; negatively can kill sexual drive. Try our avocado toast with fried eggs for a savory appetizer. If dining out, order a salad with avocado or a side of guacamole.

spice up your valentine's day

Photo by Julia Maguire

3. Bananas

Ok, one: It’s a phallus-shaped food (duh). And two: bananas are loaded with potassium, a nutrient known to build muscle strength. This asset is especially useful for optimizing orgasms. Check out this article for 8 tasty ways to enjoy bananas. Combine bananas and chocolate for a sensational dessert.

spice up your valentine's day

Photo by Hannah Lin

4. Chocolate

This should be a no brainer. Any romantic night calls for rich and creamy dark chocolate. Try 72% or higher – it’s the greatest in purity and antioxidants. Bake (or purchase) a chocolate lava cake or make your own fondue for two, served with marshmallows, biscotti and fresh fruit. Chocolate contains phenylethylamine, a stimulant that enhances sexual readiness. At home, you can try this quick and easy microwave chocolate cake. If dining out, we guarantee a chocolate dessert will be offered.

spice up your valentine's day

Photo by Kelda Baljon

5. Oysters

Yes, it’s true. Their zinc content speeds up production of testosterone and heightens sex drive. Split a portion at a restaurant, and you’ll be dying to get home before the waitress can hand you a dessert menu. Don’t forget to pay the check though!

spice up your valentine's day

Photo courtesy of palmettosclemson.com

6. Pomegranates

These magical seeds are rich in antioxidants and help regulate blood circulation, providing extra sensitivity in you know where. Sprinkle some on a salad or dip the seeds in a chocolate fondue for maximum power. Try this pomegranate and pear dessert for something light and sweet. Add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream: it’s known to have aphrodisiac properties, as well.

spice up your valentine's day

Photo by Julia Maguire

7. Watermelon

Nothing beats the chill you get from a piece of cold, juicy watermelon in the summertime. Well, I guess increased libido does. Now there’s a reason to munch on this sweet fruit year round. The phytonutrient citrulline boosts nitric oxide in the body and speeds up arousal. Upgrade a standard slice with a warm, gooey chocolate spread.

spice up your valentine's day

Photo by Justin Shannin

8. Red Wine

The resveratrol in red wine increases libido and tastes great with just about any of the foods listed above. It pumps blood circulation to enhance performance. For a great wine and cheese pairing, check out some of our top picks.

spice up your valentine's day

Photo by Kelda Baljon