With tons of different store-bought brownie mixes available and even more homemade recipes, it's safe to say there are a lot of ways to customize this classic dessert.

Not surprisingly, the oil in these recipes is what makes the result fudgey. With a simple swap, however, you can achieve a similar consistency and some added flavor.

While I cannot personally endorse all of these substitutes, it's fun to try new ways to mix up your typical brownie. Whether or not any of these wins you over, at least you've got an extra serving of fruit or veggies in your diet.

1. Avocado

sweet, bread
Reed Erickson

Avocado has a pretty distinctive flavor, so to make sure it doesn't overpower the chocolate, try mixing in Greek yogurt. This addition will make your brownies slightly tangy but still sweet. 

2. Black Beans

chocolate, cream, sweet, coffee, milk, candy
Sydney Segal

Black beans can be found in desserts from chocolate mousse to doughnuts. Believe it or not, the beans are supposed to improve the texture and the flavor should be lost in all the fudgey goodness. 

3. Bananas

chocolate, cake, sweet, brownie, cream, pudding
Stephanie DeVaux

Bananas are a great substitute for butter in different baked goods. You might be able to taste some slight banana flavor, but a little  fruit and chocolate combo won't hurt anyone.

4. Zucchini

coffee
Diana Ghidanac

These brownies are not only made with zucchini, but have coconut oil and flax seeds as well. Zucchini doesn't have a strong flavor, so it won't stand out as much as avocado does. 

5. Sweet Potatoes

chocolate, sweet, cake, pastry, candy, cream
Lily Lou

This recipe is made with sweet potatoes, almond meal, and dates, making it a allergy-friendly option. Brownies made with sweet potatoes are often moist with only a hint of the added flavor and a lot less saturated fat. If you like these, try canned pumpkin or butternut squash.

Whether you're looking for a replacement for your favorite brownie or you just want to see if your friends can guess the secret ingredient, this list should help any brownie-lover out.