As we all know, 'tis the season for pie. There are so many different choices: apple pie, cherry-berry pie, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie. Round pies are such a timeless dessert, however, making pie into bars is just another way to pay homage to the classic holiday dessert. The pecan pie bar will make it so that you can easily sneak in a bite no matter what you are doing.

Pecan Pie Bars

• Cook Time:1 hr 10 mins
  • Total Time:1 hr 25 mins

• 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup chilled butter
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups corn syrup dark is best
  • 2 cups chopped pecan roughly non-toasted
chocolate, cake
Rachel Dean

Line 8×8-inch" baking pan with aluminum foil or butter. (It makes removing easier.) Preheat oven to 350°F for aluminum bake ware and 325ºF for glass bake ware.

candy
    Rachel Dean

Mix together the flour and sugar. Then mix in butter until it is a corn meal like consistency.

cream, dairy product, mashed potatoes, milk
    Rachel Dean

Press mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake until it has golden brown edges, around 20 minutes.

bread, butter
    Rachel Dean

Mix together brown sugar and flour. Then whisk in eggs, vanilla extract, salt, and corn syrup. Let mixture stand (around 15 minutes) stirring occasionally. Mix in the pecans then dump this mixture on top of the shortbread as soon as it is removed from the oven.

sweet, cereal, honey, caramel
    Rachel Dean

Return pan to oven for another 40-50 minutes. The center should wobble (like jelly) but it should not be runny (like pudding).

chocolate, cake
    Rachel Dean

Cool pan to room temperature then move to the fridge for it to sit overnight before cutting into it. Then serve.

caramel, apple, pie, caramel apple, pecan, apple pie, cake
    Rachel Dean

So whether you are a person who likes to eat pie in all situations or you just are looking for a modern take on pies, this is the recipe for you. Impress your friends and grandma with this exciting new take on a classic. So let's get back to our roots and get baking.