Do you constantly feel like you have to be doing something? Do you also struggle with the accompanying anxiety? Do you wish there was more balance in your life? Whether that be homework, going out with your friends, or scrolling through Facebook, you're not alone.

I struggle with this myself, the constant need to be checking things off a list and moving on to another task. However, this doesn't do much to help anxiety. What helps me combat this feeling of building pressure is designating time (I still have to make it something I check off a list, to trick myself) to be by myself.

There are lots of reasons why alone time is healthy for you, such as: it helps you unwind; it allows you to think about yourself (which is something that's often not high on our priorities); it helps you think through problems. Still, alone time can sometimes feel so... wrong, somehow. 

But maybe it feels wrong to be alone because more often than not, we aren't alone. We're constantly surrounded by our fellow classmates, our friends, our family, and that's not even taking social media into consideration. But maybe if we took time out of our days to be alone, we can adopt the practice, and in doing so, become more comfortable with ourselves.

With this in mind, in case you're still unsure what to do, here are 5 ways to use your alone time.

1. Turn off social media notifications

Social media is wonderful. It brings people together, keeps you informed on current news and trends, allows you to see how Gordon Ramsey is roasting people IRL and online, and show you cute doggo pictures, which we all need sometimes. All of this can be great; but, sometimes we forget how to disconnect. By committing to turning off your social media notifications (or simply turning off your phone), you are automatically given a reprieve from all the likes and shares. You can focus on other things instead.

2. Listen to new music

Halsey put out a new album and it's pretty dope! Or if that's not your thing, look at artists that you like and branch off from them. Ingrid Michaelson is wonderful, but you know who else is wonderful and similar to her style? Regina Spektor.  

Listening to music is great, but listening to new music is even better, because you might find out new genres of music you are interested in. Isn't that the best, finding out that you like a new thing? Plus, who ever complained about having too many playlists to choose from?

3. Read a book for FUN

When was the last time you read a book that wasn't a textbook or required reading for a class? Me, neither. But reading for fun is spectacular. It takes you away from your world for a moment. Explore some titles and read for an hour before bed.

4. Watch something that's on your list

Sarah Bridgeport

Always wanted to see the new Spiderman movie but never got around to it while it was in theaters? Do you constantly add movies to your Netflix list and then never get around to watching them? Watch the pilot of that show you've been dying to see. Watch that documentary your professor recommended. Watch that movie you keep coming across in your Twitter feed. 

#SpoonTipWonder Woman was fantastic, if you need a place to start. 

5. Write

If you don't identify as a "writer," this seems daunting, but writing can include anything: journaling, a short story, a poem, a grocery list, a list of places you want to travel to, etc. Writing by hand is always great, but typing is just as welcome. Any writing is writing. Don't be scared, because even if you don't think you're a writer, you are. 

Most importantly, do something that brings you joy and fun. Remember, at the end of the day, you are who you spend the most time with, so why don't you get to know yourself a little bit more. You'll be glad that you did.