The book 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher is a novel that touches everyone no matter how old you are when you read it. This was a novel that I had the pleasure of reading in ninth grade for a summer reading list. Typically, you get summer reading lists and automatically assume it's going to be a drag, but this summer read was different.

This novel confronts the tough topic of mental health, suicide, and takes an approach of prevention. Mental illness is a topic that needs to be talked about in a tone of understanding and empathy.  This book created a safe place for people to escape and see how their words and actions affect other people. Here are nine books like 13 Reasons Why that speak to the topic of mental health.

1.  Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

This is a story of breaking away from social stigma and standing up for yourself. In college, parties can go south in a matter of seconds and this story captures how bottling up sexual assault will only cause more pain. I encourage you to check out this story, you won't be able put it down.

2. It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

This is a novel that tells the story of a freshman in high school who is dealing with depression and suicide. He takes his mental state in stride and is self-aware. After checking himself into a psychiatric institution, he meets someone who rocks his world. Better check out the book to see what unfolds and how they affect one another's lives for the better.

3. All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Violet and Finch are two very different high schoolers. Violet is the stereotypical popular girl and Finch is the outcast, but they end up having one thing in common. After the loss of a family member, Violet finds herself unhappy with everything in her life, which leads her to think about ending it. Finch, on the other hand, has an infatuation with suicide, thinking about it at any given point of the day. This is a story of how these two people could keep one another off of the edge and how finding someone who understands can save you from yourself.

4. The List by Siobhan Vivian

As most of us know, throughout high school judgements were practically handed out like pencils. This is a novel that discusses a list of the "pretty and ugly" girls of the class and how eight girls are effected by the negative words of others.  

5. Holding Up The Universe Jennifer Niven

You never know what someone else is going through behind the smile they put on. This is a story of two people who come from different personal struggles of finding happiness until they find one another. But does it really make the difference in their ultimate happiness or will it turn into another thing to add to their stories?

6. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

A book of poems that have four parts entitled: The Hurting, The Loving, The Breaking, and The Healing. These poems are written from the perspective of a woman who has been sexually assaulted from a young age and how she has mentally and physically healed from the experiences. 

7. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

This is the diary of a regular girl who gets forced into a move during her teenage years, and who then gets caught up in a life of questioning and temptation. She experiments with countless drugs, experiences, and ideas. She begins to have schizophrenic episodes and there's no way to know what causes them. Find out what happens to her in the future and if she overcomes the addictions and mental health issues she faces.

8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

A book that has personally touched my heart, this is a story of a young boy who deals with the typical struggles of a high schooler, or so it seems. He eventually hits a point where he can no longer hide from the depression and pain he keeps bottled up. By surrounding himself with the right people, he finds a new perspective.

9. By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julia Anne Peters

The extremely dark title is followed by a fairly dark story as well.  This books tells of a girl who has attempted suicide multiple times and is now telling her story. Dive into this read to see how cyber bullying can have a profound affect on someone and learn why we should all be paying attention to it.

These reads are ones you won't be able to put down, so if you love 13 Reasons Why then you'll love these. These books will make your heart race and maybe bring some tears, but I promise they won't disappoint.