Even as a foodie, I'm a sucker for a good microwave meal. During exam season, I live off of five-minute chocolate mug cakes and tea. It's just the way I roll. Sadly, consuming 100+ chocolate cakes doesn't really align with my gym goals, so I started searching for some more nutritious alternatives. These healthy microwave meals are packed with veg and protein, and all of them can be ready in less than 20 minutes.

Breakfast

1. Scrambled Eggs

risotto, macaroni, cheese, rice, parsley, meat, pasta, vegetable, sauce, scrambled
Callie Carlson

Before that 8am class, it's tempting to skip breakfast or wolf down some sugary cereal. Thanks to these microwaveable scrambled eggs, you no longer have to. Your protein-filled breakfast can be ready in less than three minutes.

2. Fried Eggs

omelet, fried egg, egg yolk, egg
Msu Spoon

If you don't like 'em scrambled, then how about fried? This microwave fried egg proves that literally anything is possible when you put your mind (and microwave) to it. 

3. Veggie Omelet

salad, tomato, cheese, vegetable
Clarisse Callahan

The worst part about making eggs is having to clean out the pan afterwards. Skip that step with this microwave-friendly omelet, which uses a plate instead.

4. Poached Egg and Avocado Toast

croque madame, egg yolk, egg, toast, bread
Julia Maguire

Don't let a lack of kitchen utensils hold you back from jumping on the avocado toast train. All you need is a microwave for this dorm-friendly poached egg. It's perfect for those days when you oversleep and miss breakfast at the dining hall.

5. Huevos Rancheros

chicken, egg, chili, soup, parsley
Taylor Gibb

Sounds fancy, tastes amazing. Whip up these easy Mexican-inspired eggs that are packed with black beans, bell pepper, and salsa for a nutritious (and impressive) breakfast.

6. Granola

cereal, granola, corn, muesli, porridge, wheat, buckwheat, oatmeal
Holly Rule

I love a good sprinkling of granola in the morning, but I find that store brands are often packed with sugar. Make this DIY microwave granola filled with nuts and fruit instead, where you can control the amount of maple syrup going in. 

7. Chia and Flaxseed Oatmeal

blueberry, cereal, sweet, milk, yogurt, muesli, berry, oatmeal, porridge
Becky Hughes

This is living proof that dorm-friendly meals don't have to be unhealthy. This microwave chia and flaxseed oatmeal is filled with fiber and protein, and it won't taste like the mush that the dining hall serves. Promise.

8. Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal

milk, cereal, sweet, porridge, oatmeal
Emily Hu

If there's something better than cinnamon-y oatmeal on a crisp winter's morning, then I haven't discovered it yet. It tastes twice as satisfying when you whip up this microwave cinnamon roll oatmeal in less than five minutes. Permission to eat it in bed, granted.

Mains

9. Butternut Squash Risotto

rice, risotto, vegetable
Katie Elliott

Ridiculously impressive, ridiculously easy. If you love risotto but hate standing over the stove and adding vegetable stock every few minutes, then this microwave butternut squash risotto is calling your name. The hardest part is pouring the glass of white wine to go with it.

10. Vegetable Fried Rice

salad, corn, pasta, tomato, pepper, vegetable
Katherine Baker

Rice may take ages to cook on the stove, but this microwave-friendly fried rice that you can make the next day with leftover rice will only take up 15 minutes of your life. With kale, tomatoes, and chickpeas, it's like a healthy version of Chinese takeout.

11. Baked Potato

vegetable, salad, sandwich, guacamole, toast, bread, avocado
Haley Abram

During my first year of university in the UK, I encouraged (okay, forced) my flatmates to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving in our dorm room. I can't imagine how much easier cooking would have been if I had only known how to make a stuffed potato in the microwave.

12. Vegetables

Irvin Mai

Of course, you'll need a few sides to go with your stuffed potato, so you might as well learn how to make veggies in the microwave. Just think of how proud your parents will be that you made cooked carrots.

13. Couscous Greek Salad

vegetable, cereal, quinoa, couscous
Megan Prendergast

You may not be able to afford a plane ticket to Athens, but this microwave couscous will transport you to Greece in less than 10 minutes. You probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen right now.

14. Spicy Pumpkin Meatloaf

I'll be honest: pumpkin and meatloaf sounds like a pretty weird food combination, but I also like scrambled eggs and maple syrup together, so who am I to judge? Check out this spicy pumpkin meatloaf and decide for yourself.

Dessert

15. Protein-Packed Mug Cake

cake, sweet, chocolate
Ashleigh Monaco

Getting ripped while eating cake sounds like a dream, but it can become reality with this protein-packed mug cake. Made with protein powder, applesauce, PB2, and almond milk, it's both low-calorie and vegan.

16. Peanut Butter Mug Cake

sweet, cream, chocolate
Stephanie Schoenster

With only three ingredients, this peanut butter mug cake is the ultimate last minute dessert. Between the egg and the peanut butter, this mug cake is also high in protein, so you could enjoy it as a post-workout snack too.

17. Flourless Chocolate Mug Cake

This flourless chocolate mug cake may look naughty, but it's nice. It's sugar-free, vegan, and made with only four ingredients. You can satisfy your late-night chocolate cravings while not giving up on those fitness goals.

When you're running late for class, these healthy microwave meals will be your new BFF. Scramble some eggs before your psych lab, or whip up a peanut butter mug cake for your late-night study session. It's quick, healthy, and 100% effortless.