Dates truly are nature’s candy, but that doesn’t mean they should only be used in desserts. While they do make any sweet dish even sweeter, dates also go well with savoury foods, especially cheese. They’re the perfect appetizer, dessert, or snack that you can eat right out of the box. Just remember to take out the pit.

1. Bacon-Wrapped Dates

Starting off strong with a bacon recipe. Even if you don’t like dates you’ll love these. They’re quick and easy making them the perfect appetizer for a dinner party. If you’re having some friends over to your apartment for dinner or even just drinks, they’ll really appreciate this savoury and sweet treat that’ll keep them wanting more.

2. Date and Goat Cheese Pie

dates

Photo by Katie Schneider

Everybody knows that everything tastes better as a pie. This recipe even shows you how to make pie crust, which is a pretty important skill if you ask me. Although there probably won’t be leftovers, this pie makes an awesome late night snack. So consider setting a slice aside for yourself before you serve it.

3. 3-Ingredient Vegan Energy Balls

dates

Photo by Becky Hughes

Energy balls can cost a few bucks each in some supermarkets which is a major rip off when you can make your own. All you need is almonds, chocolate, and dates, and then you can make them whichever size you’d like. Feel free to sub in different ingredients if you don’t want chocolate or you’re allergic to nuts. Anything will work since the date is what binds everything together, the other ingredients are just for flavour and texture.

4. DIY Larabars 

dates

Photo by Meredith Davin

Here’s another simple DIY that’ll save you time and cash. Again, you can mix together any ingredients you’d like and you can make any energy ball into a Larabar and vice versa. They take under ten minutes to prepare and all you have to do is stick them in the fridge to set. When they’re firm, you can individually package them in saran wrap or Ziplock bags for a snack on the go.

5. Homemade Almond Milk

dates

Photo by Yonatan Soler

Almond milk is actually way easier to make than you probably thought. You just need to soak the almonds and then toss them in the blender, however, you’re probably going to want to have a pretty good blender for this. Keep blending until smooth and then strain it using a nut milk bag (yes, that exists) or a cheese cloth. Afterwards, you add in the dates for sweetness and this recipe recommends cinnamon or vanilla, but I prefer to keep it simple.

6. Overnight Oats

dates

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

Overnight oats should be every college kid’s go-to breakfast. It takes five minutes to make before you go to bed and then you let the fridge do the work while you catch up on your beauty sleep. This recipe calls for dates to add that much needed sweetness to wake you up on a dreary Monday morning.

7. Granola Bars

dates

Photo by Alex Tom

This super healthy version of a granola bar is a great snack to take with you to class or work. This recipe is a bit more advanced but definitely worth it. It’s the perfect combo of fruits, nuts, and oats and it’s way better than anything you’re gonna find in the stores.

8. Sticky Toffee Cake

dates

Photo by Tiffany Chen

Does it really get any better than sticky toffee cake with vanilla ice cream? The best part of this decadent dessert is the natural sweetness from those dates. Just looking at this cake makes me want to get in the kitchen right now and learn how to bake.

9. Sautéed and Salted Dates on Greek Yogurt

dates

Photo by Christina Chin

I would’ve never thought of this combo in my wildest dreams but this recipe has convinced me to give it a go. Warm dates served over cool Greek yogurt is perfect for breakfast or even as an appetizer when paired with some sliced baguette.

10. No-Bake Date Squares

dates

Photo by Naomi Flanagan

No bake desserts are the bomb because let’s face it, who can wait patiently when there’s dessert baking in the oven? And as a little added bonus, they’re healthy too. You can whip these up, put them in the freezer and run to class for an hour or so. By the time you get back your after school treat will be ready.

11. Healthy 3-Ingredient Chocolate Quinoa Squares

dates

Photo by Lily Lou

Quinoa and chocolate sound kind of nasty together but hear me out. This recipe uses cocoa powder, dates, and popped quinoa to create a sweet, crunchy, and healthy dessert. Popped quinoa isn’t the stuff you’re eating with vegetables for dinner. When you pop the quinoa it becomes completely different and it has a popcorn-like texture which makes it the perfect snack.

12. Healthy Dessert Smoothies 

dates

Photo by Holly Lipka

I use dates in every single smoothie I make because it makes them sweet without being super unhealthy. This red velvet smoothie is beautiful but it also has beets and spinach to kick up the health factor. Dates go well with any combination of fruits and it covers up the unwanted flavours of any vegetables. Nobody will ever even know it’s a healthy smoothie until you tell them.

13. Inside-out Coconut dates

dates

Photo by Mimi Takano

You can do the same thing you did with the energy balls here and roll up the date into a circle so the sticky part is on the outside. This way you can roll the ball in coconut shavings or any other topic you’d prefer. You can choose nuts, seeds, or even cocoa powder if you don’t want the crunch. This is a simple snack that’ll satisfy your sweet tooth.

14. Peanut Butter Stuffed Dates

dates

Photo by Isabelle Chu

This is one sticky snack but peanut butter lovers will go crazy for it. Feel free to use any peanut butter or other nut butter you’d like and just drizzle it on top or stuff it in the middle after pitting the dates. The great thing about this snack is that it can be as healthy or unhealthy as you’d like. You can use a super organic and natural peanut butter or you can use that smooth, sugary stuff and throw some chocolate chips inside. No one’s judging.

15. Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese and Rosemary

dates

Photo by Maya Krasnow

Here’s another bacon wrapped recipe because those never get old. This time we’re getting a little classier with goat cheese and rosemary. They’re guaranteed to come out of the oven rich and creamy and they’ll definitely melt in your mouth. If you’re looking to class it up even more, try wrapping the dates in prosciutto instead, AKA fancy bacon.