A few months ago, I was over at my best friend’s house where she served me a dessert without telling me what was in it. “Just try it!” she said. I was skeptical at first because I knew it would be one of those “healthy desserts,” but I was pleasantly surprised by the result. These no-bake date squares are packed with health benefits. They contain iron-rich cashews, dates, which promote digestive health, and coconut oil. which contains no trans fats.

I was still skeptical that this healthy dessert would be socially acceptable to bring to dinner parties, so we made a batch and served it to five college boys to see if it passed the test, and it did. You can make this recipe in a pie pan or in a brownie pan. Twist this recipe by doubling the ingredients to make multiple layers. You can also get creative with toppings, such as adding pistachios on the top layer.

#SpoonTip: Make sure each layer is properly frozen before adding the next layer or else they will mix together.

This recipe is courtesy of Annie LeBlanc.

No-Bake Date Squares

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour

• 12 dried Medjool dates
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1 cup coconut oil, divided
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
Photo by Naomi Flanagan

Blend 6 dates and all of the almonds in the food processor. Spread out thinly in a brownie pan to form a crust layer and freeze for 5 minutes.

Photo by Naomi Flanagan

Melt 1/2 cup of coconut oil for 30 seconds and blend with the cashews and water. Pour into the frozen crust and freeze again for 5 minutes.

Photo by Naomi Flanagan

Melt another 1/2 cup of coconut oil and mix with the cocoa powder. Drizzle over the frozen caramel layer and freeze for 30 more minutes, or until ready to serve.

Photo by Naomi Flanagan