Sometimes it can be hard to figure out what foods are good for you and what foods you should be avoiding. You might think that because you workout you can eat whatever you want. But you'll want to think twice about that. Eating healthy and clean foods can help make your workout better and keep you feeling energized. 

The next time you're stuck trying to decide what to have as a pre/post workout snack or what to make for dinner that night, just check out these foods and hopefully some inspiration will strike. 

1. Avocados 

Sina D'Amico

Avocados are made up of the healthy fats that your body needs to absorb important vitamins and minerals. They also contains vitamin K which helps prevent your muscles from cramping. Avocados also work wonders to treat any inflammation muscles may experience while working out. 

2. Berries 

berry, raspberry, sweet, blackberry, blueberry, strawberry
Ryan Terhune

Make sure to eat your berries to help with recovery - especially blueberries. Blueberries are filled with antioxidants and are a great source of carbohydrates after and before a workout. If you eat them after a hard training session, they'll help put a stop to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). 

3. Fresh Fruit 

tropical, Fruit, pineapple, juice
Sam Jesner

Fresh fruit such as apples, pineapple and grapes are a good addition to any pre- or post workout meal. Fruits are filled with enough simple sugars to give you energy to make it through your workout. If you're going to grab some fruit post-training, make sure you add that to your meal so you're getting a little bit of everything. 

4. Beans 

cereal, coffee, black beans, beans, vegetable, azuki bean, pasture, legume, kidney bean
Zoe Malin

Beans are a great source of protein - and that's exactly what you need when you're working out. You've probably heard that protein is important to help your muscles recover and rebuild, so why not have beans as your protein? 

5. Dairy 

Sina D'Amico

Dairy is the best of both worlds - meaning it is filled with both protein and carbs. Having a cup of yogurt or adding cottage cheese to a meal will make you feel a little more satisfied. If you like yogurt, try to avoid the flavors that have a lot of sugar. Instead, pick the plain flavor and add honey for a sweeter taste. 

6. Eggs 

egg, chicken, egg yolk

I don't know about you, but eggs are one of my favorite breakfast foods. Whether you make them into an omelet or have them scrambled, they're sure to keep you full and focused until it's time for lunch. If you're looking for a quick (and healthy) dinner option, eggs are the best bet. 

7. Fish 

Cooking, Healthy, homemade, Cucumber Avocado Salad, salad, Side Salad, avocado, pan-seared salmon, college life, dorm life
Amy Dong

Fish, like salmon and tuna, are a great source of protein after a workout to start repairing and rebuilding your muscles. Not only will it keep you full and bring your energy back up to normal, it'll have your muscles ready for your next workout. 

8. Green Tea 

tea, green tea
Nicolecacolaa

You always want to make sure you're hydrated before and after a workout - and just in general. Sometimes you're craving something other than water, and green tea is the best (and tastiest option). Just make sure you're brewing it at home and not drinking something from a bottle since those tend to have a lot of added sugars. 

9. Oatmeal 

cereal, porridge, oatmeal, milk, sweet, muesli, oatmeal cereal, corn, granola, oat, cornflakes
Gabby Phi

Oatmeal is a great option for pre-workout meal - just be careful how close to training you're eating it. Oatmeal is high in fiber, which means it takes a while to digest. Eating this too close to your workout might make your stomach hurt. Try to time it so you can have your bowl of oatmeal about 2-3 hours before you start a workout. 

10. Poultry 

chicken, pork, barbecue, meat
Christin Urso

There are so many different ways to eat poultry that you'll never have to feel like you're eating the same thing twice. You can add chicken or turkey breast to a salad, make it into a sandwich, or just eat it by itself. No matter how you like to eat it, you'll be getting your protein and keeping yourself full. 

11. Nuts/Nut Butters 

almond butter, Trader Joe's, Nut butter
Julia Gilman

Nut butters are perfect to have pre- or post workout, or as a snack in the middle of the day when you need something filling. It's filled with both carbs and protein to give you body a little bit of both. It also has the good fats that your body wants. Just make sure you're eating them in moderation, the calorie count can get kind of high. 

12. Seeds 

pumpkin seeds, nut, vegetable, salt
Steph Auble

Seeds are a great topping to add to your morning oatmeal or even a cup of yogurt. They'll make sure to add some crunch and some healthy nutrients to your day without even having to try too hard. In fact, you can even take pumpkin or sunflower seeds as a snack and eat them on their own. 

13. Sweet Potatoes 

sweet potato, potato, sweet, chips
Hattie Swank

Sweet potatoes are a step up from regular potatoes (and taste a whole lot better if you ask me). They have plenty of starch in them to get your sugar levels back to normal after a workout. Make sure to pair them with a protein, like poultry or fish, to have a well-rounded post workout meal. 

14. Vegetables 

vegetable, pepper, onion
Gabby Quintana

You always want to make sure you're eating your vegetables. They're filled with so many important nutrients that your body needs. Whether you like to have them as a snack or incorporate them into a meal, there's no wrong way to eat them. 

15. Water 

ice, water, splash, cup of water, water cup, water splash, dropping ice

Water is extremely important to keep you hydrated and ready for a workout. If your body is not hydrated, it's going to be harder to make it through your workout without feeling tired. In fact, you want to make sure to drink enough before and after a workout so you know you'll be okay. 

Whether you're a high level athlete or just someone who likes to get in a good run on the weekends, you'll defiantly want to turn to these foods to clean up your diet. Maybe they'll even make working out a little bit sweeter!