Watermelon is summer’s best friend. Eating a cold slice with the juices dripping down your chin or drinking a refreshing watermelon smoothie on a particularly hot day will cool you down like no other. But did you know it can also be utilized as an art canvas? These 13 stunning watermelon carvings will remind you that art has no boundaries, and that sometimes the best art is edible art, especially if it can be eaten on a warm day.

1. Flowers

watermelon

Photo courtesy of watermelon-sculpture.com

This is a beautiful flower sculpture done by the talented Takashi Itoh, a celebrated fruit carver who even has his own website so you can scroll through his fascinating creations.

2. Koala

watermelon

Another creation by Takashi Itoh, who utilized the stripes of the watermelon to give character to his koalas.

3. Hedgehog

watermelon

Photo courtesy of stuffparentsneed.com

This is the epitome of edible art. It’s cute yet practical, so a person like me can eat over a dozen watermelon cubes.

4. Flowers, part 2

watermelon

Photo courtesy of stylisheve.com

I struggle to just watermelon into similarly sized shapes, so a carving like this just blows my mind, especially with all of the little details on the petals.

5. Japanese castle

watermelon

Another of Takashi Itoh’s works. How cool is it that he used different layers of the watermelon to give different colors?

6. Shark

watermelon

Photo courtesy of popsugar.com

A fun and cute idea for summer parties — just serve up a shark-shaped watermelon filled with various fruits and candy.

7. Beach

watermelon

The full title of this piece is “Summer at a Beach Resort,” by Takashi Itoh. Just looking at this piece makes me want to head to the beach.

8. Rose watermelon

watermelon

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

The contrast between the colors and the two different sides of the watermelon is lovely. It’s titled “Open Your Heart Watermelon Rose,” and you can watch how the artist created it here.

9. Pig

watermelon

Photo courtesy of fuzzytoday.com

Although the pig isn’t totally made out of watermelon (looking at you button eyes and nose), you can’t deny that it is absolutely adorable. Plus, the circular watermelon bits look too good not eat.

10. Pieta

watermelon

This is Takashi Itoh’s version of Pieta, a Renaissance sculpture by Michelangelo in St. Peter’s Basilica.

11. Viking

watermelon

Photo courtesy of elistmania.com

It’s a viking made out of watermelon, complete with an off-white mustache and beard. What could be better?

12. Flowers, part 3

watermelon

Photo courtesy of telegraph.co.uk

This is another one of Takashi Itoh’s floral watermelon carvings. I just can’t stop staring at them. They’re so mesmerizing.

13. Dragon head

watermelon

Photo courtesy of reddit.com

It’s best to leave off with something memorable, am I right? Can you believe that someone made a realistic version of a dragon head, scales and all, using a watermelon? You can watch how it’s made here.

Besides eating, watermelon’s bright colors and thick skin make it perfect to use as a large canvas. So why not get a little creative this summer and play with your food?