Sources of protein seem to be the most common topic of debate when it comes to a dietary conversation between vegetarians and non-vegetarians. I have come across many people in my life, especially since I decided to be pescatarian, who believe eating meat is the only way to gain protein. Even though these debates might stem from a loving concern for a friend's overall health, it can be extremely frustrating to have someone try to tell you how to eat. This is why I created this clear cut list of foods that contain protein other than meat. Weather you are a vegetarian, non-vegetarian, or somewhere in between here are ten alternate ways to gain some protein and avoid this tedious debate.

1.) Greek Yogurt

ice, cream, ice cream
Taylor Treadway

One 6 ounce container of Greek yogurt has about 17.3 grams of protein. Why choose Greek instead of regular? It's because non-Greek yogurt actually only has about 8.9 grams of protein for the same amount. The reason why Greek yogurt tends to hold more protein is because of its thicker, more concentrated texture. Drizzle some honey, agave nectar, granola, and fresh fruit on some Greek yogurt for a healthy yet great tasting breakfast.

2.) Lentils

vegetable, lentil, legume, buckwheat, cereal
Christin Urso

In one cup of cooked lentils there is about 18 grams of protein. Lentils tend to be one of the most popular choices for protein foods by vegans. This is because they are cheaper than many other options and one pack can last a sufficient amount of time. Try mixing chilled lentils with cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, and whole wheat croutons with light balsamic dressing to make a very addictive but healthy salad.

3.) Peanut Butter

pastry, cake, cream, sweet, chocolate
Samantha Hickman

Just two tablespoons of peanut butter give you 8 grams of protein. It also acts as the perfect food to use when trying to gain muscle because of not only its protein levels, but also its balance between fats, carbs, and natural oils. Spread some on a slice of toast in the morning with a little Nutella and some fresh fruit for a fun, flavorful breakfast.

4.) Tofu

dairy product, cheese, milk, candy, tofu
Lauren Kaplan

In one cup of tofu there is about 20 grams of protein. However, protein is not the only huge benefit for tofu. It also contains high levels of calcium and magnesium. If you fry tofu and lightly salt it, especially with pink himalayan salt, it is a great substitution for french fries.

5.) Edamame

edamame, fava beans, broad beans, pasture, pea, vegetable, legume
Sarah Goldman

Edamame is a green soybean that when a cup of it is cooked gives you about 22 grams of protein. These are a convenient snack while studying because they are quick to make and easy to eat with one hand. If you have never  tried them before, grab a bag of them at Trader Joe's, boil them, add a little salt and you are good to go. Remember, only eat the inside of the bean.

6.) Quinoa

couscous, quinoa, groats, millet, corn, buckwheat, porridge, cereal, wheat
Christin Urso

Quinoa is a grain that can be a great substitute for rice in order to get more nutrients. One cup of quinoa has 8 grams of protein. This grain is quick and easy to cook and can be used for recipes like sushi, fried quinoa, and salads.

7.) Spinach

spinach, vegetable, salad, lettuce, basil, relish, herb
Kristine Mahan

One cup of cooked spinach has a little over 5 grams of protein. Interestingly enough, cooked spinach contains more protein per cup than raw spinach, so the way you prepare your dish really matters. Spinach can be used raw in salads, chopped up in smoothies or milkshakes, or sauteed with coconut oil. Any way you prepare it will taste great.

8.) Chickpeas

chickpeas, tigernut, hazelnut, legume, pasture, cereal, nut, vegetable
Kristine Mahan

One cup of chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, is equal to 12 grams of protein. Chickpeas are masters at disguise. They are used to make so many of your favorite foods and you may not even notice it at first, like in hummus or falafel. Chickpeas are also a great substitute for meat in dishes like vegan "tuna" salad.

9.) Almonds

nut, chocolate, cereal, coffee
Stephanie Lee

One cup of almonds surprisingly contain about 48 grams of protein! However, this isn't all their known for. Almonds are also a great source of vitamin E, fiber, and unsaturated fats. This is why they are the perfect snack for a runner. Almonds are also great for adding to breakfast dishes or baked goods.

10.) Cottage Cheese

tea, coffee
Molly McGeeney

In one cup of cottage cheese there is 28 grams of protein. It is said to be a great snack to have before bed because of its level of casein protein. However, cottage cheese is also known for having high levels of sodium. Keep this in mind when deciding on which brand to buy.

Now that you know about ten more outside-of-the-box ways to grab some protein, maybe these debates between non-vegetarians and vegetarians can be avoided. Instead of fighting over how much protein is in our meals, let's debate on which fun vegetarian recipe to test out first!