It's 2018 y'all, and with the new year comes the one thing nearly everyone is looking for : the perfect new years resolution.  Sure, you can go for the usual resolution to finally get rid of the Freshman 15, but why not try doing something more exciting instead? Every foodie can find something to stick to this year by looking at our list below. Here are 10 perfect foodie resolutions that you will actually want to achieve this year.

Try a new cuisine.

It’s easy to get stuck in the rut of grabbing the same food over and over again, but it’s good to expand your horizons (and your tastebuds) by trying new dishes. Sure, you’ve had pho - but have you tried dishes from other (underrated) countries like Singapore or Ethiopia? Why not make a resolution for yourself to spread your wings and try at least 1 new type of cuisine a month. Better yet, try making these dishes on your own!

Eat breakfast.

By now you’ve heard it a million times - breakfast is the most important meal of the day! And yet, (like me) you probably are still skipping it in order to gain a few more extra Z's and not be late for class. Instead of worrying about your stomach making whale noises during lecture, why not make your breakfast ahead of time? Hint: you can do the same for lunch and dinner too!

Take a cooking class.

Taking a cooking class is one of the best experiences you can have. Not only are you learning some awesome culinary skills to wow everyone you know, but it's the perfect opportunity to socialize and meet others! Most universities have different events or even clubs that you can join to learn how to cook all sorts of things for free or a very cheap price. Take advantage of these, and if you prefer learning alone - the internet holds countless free tutorials.

Master a family recipe.

We've all been there - eating 30 cent ramen at 1AM and wishing we were eating Mom or Grandma's food instead. Instead of having to wait till the next time you visit home, why not call them and ask for their secret recipe? That way you can always make it for yourself when you get that feeling of homesickness - and be able to make it for them too! This can also bring you closer to your family - and even your cultural heritage.

Visit your local farmer’s market.

It’s always a good idea to support local businesses, so why not make it a point to make a trip to to your local farmer's market more often this year! Grab a friend, or your whole squad, and have fun sampling all the free food and picking out some fresh ingredients for your next homemade meal for super cheap.

Grow your own food.

I know what you're thinking - how the h*ll can I grow my own food? It's not like you own ten acres and a bunch of farming supplies. Well guess what? You totally can - even in your own dorm. Growing your own food is an awesome and eco-friendly way to up your foodie game this year, and it doesn't even take much! Grow some herbs in a empty can, K-cup, or old shoebox.

Eat out less.

I know that as foodies we just LOVE going to that newest restaurant to snap some sweet food pics for our foodstagrams. However, all those trips can really add up - leaving you #broke. Why not save money and cook at home or meal prep? You'll survive, I promise. 

Drink smarter

Chances are, you're probably dehydrated as you read this. You've been told before that you should drink more water, but why not actually start doing it this year? If you don't like plain water, switch it up by adding some fruit to it. And if you don't want to have to pee every five seconds - know that it's just a phase. You shouldn't just be drinking more water - but you should also be drinking less soda.  Seriously. It also goes without saying that you should be mindful of your partying habits

Don’t diet.

With the new year, there is always the resolution to finally lose that Freshmen 15. This year, do something better and focus less on the number on the scale and more on actually enjoying life. While it's totally a good idea to want to eat more mindfully, you should also not restrict yourself. Go ahead and eat that slice of cake!

Love yourself!

Okay, so this isn't just a foodie resolution - but something everyone should do this year (especially after the mess that was 2017). Start appreciating yourself more for everything you are, and take care of your mental health. With a new year comes the potential to look back on the you of last year and look forward to a even better you!

What other foodie resolutions do you want to achieve in 2018?