We can all feel it — the air getting warmer and the school year is starting to come to an end — and all that lies between us and summer is finals. With this, the lack of motivation to study kicks in. When all you want to do is spend time outside or with friends, these brain foods will help keep you focused while studying for finals.

1. Coffee 

cream, milk, tea, coffee, ice
Alex Frank

It is a known fact that college students run on coffee. It is the stop before class and the energy behind waking up for those 8:30 and 9 am classes. Coffee will be your best friend to help you wake up early and stay up late when studying.

2. Açaí Bowls 

chocolate, berry, sweet
Meghan McGuigan

We see the açaí bowl craze running rampant in the news and on Instagram, and you may ask what the hype is. For anyone who has tried one, first, they are delicious, but second, they are packed with antioxidants. A typical bowl might come with chia seeds, granola, almond or peanut butter and some berries on top which gives you the perfect balance of nutrients. 

3. Avocado

sweet, guacamole, vegetable, avocado
Sarah Silbiger

A single avocado is packed with potassium, healthy fats, and lots of fiber. The fiber will help keep you full through the long hours in the library and the fats are shown to help your body absorb the nutrients in other foods. Incorporating avocado into your diet will help you stay healthy especially during the last stretch of school.

4. Trail mix 

dried fruit, peanut, cereal, raisin, almond, nut
Christin Urso

At every convenience store, cafe, and coffee shop on the stand is a nice bag of trail mix. Each bag is going to be a little different but they almost always contain the basics: peanuts, cashews, and other assorted nuts, chocolate chips, and raisins or dried fruit.  It is great on the go and the healthy fats from nuts will keep you full and the chocolate and fruit will help satisfy the craving for sugar. 

5. Dark Chocolate 

milk, milk chocolate, sweet, candy, coffee, chocolate
Christin Urso

It would be physically impossible to survive the long hours of studying without something sweet. Dark chocolate may not be as tasty as milk chocolate, but it definitely has more health benefits that will make you trade in your candy bar. Dark chocolate is proven to improve brain function which will most definitely help you do well on your finals.

6. Blueberries

blackberry, bilberry, sweet, blueberry, pasture, berry

Packed with antioxidants, these guys will not only help you to stay focused, but also will help to prevent cancer and slow the aging process of the brain. Factor in their great taste and high fiber content, and you've got yourself a perfect study snack. 

7.  Citrus Fruits 

lemon, juice, citrus, lime
Sarah Silbiger

What's the easiest way to get sidetracked during finals? Getting sick. Be sure to eat as many vitamin C-packed citrus fruits during finals to help build up your immune system and keep you focused on your studies. 

Before you grab a snack for studying, make sure to think about what you are about to put into your body and how it can help you stay focused during finals.