Similar to a cheese and charcuterie board, you can dress up a mezze platter any way you want to. There are a few classic dishes you should keep in mind when making this Mediterranean-inspired sharing plate but otherwise feel free to experiment. The following 16 dishes are common additions to any good mezze platter and are great eaten together or on their own. You'll find everything from creamy dips to refreshing salads to unbelievably tender meat, so grab a pita and get eating! 

1. Tarama

If you're a fan of caviar then odds are you'll like this. Made out of fish roe (fish eggs), tarama is a salty, savory and tangy spread that goes great with bread or veggies. Depending on the type of roe used, tarama can be range from a bright pink color to a pale beige.

2. Stifado

A type of Greek slow-cooked beef stew, stifado is a bold addition to any mezze platter. Made with garlic, onions, cinnamon and pepper, stifado is full of flavor and is a great dish to make during the colder months.

3. Souvlaki

A broad term for meats or vegetables cooked on a skewer, souvlaki can be eaten on its own or with other side dishes. Common versions of souvlaki are made with lamb, but you can find beef or fish as well.

4. Tabbouleh

This salad is not only great for a mezze platter, but as a light lunch as well. Made with a variety of chopped herbs and vegetables, tabbouleh is not only refreshing but healthy too!

5. Hummus

One of the most popular dips in the world, you can find hundreds of variations of hummus. The classic version has chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and olive oil, but modern renditions include combining avocado or cocoa powder.

6. Muhammara

This classic dip isn't very well known, but boy, it should be. Made with roasted peppers and a variety of spices you can use muhammara as a dip or as a marinade for meats and fish.

7. Falafel

Another dish made out of chickpeas, falafel is deep-fried and used in a variety of dishes. Try it on salads, in sandwiches, or (of course) on a mezze platter. 

#SpoonTip: Trying to stay away from fried foods? Make this baked version of falafel instead.

8. Babaganoush

One of my favorite spreads, babaganoush is essentially the eggplant version of hummus. It's smoky and creamy without being heavy, and you're going to want to eat this dip with everything.

9. Matbucha

If you like shakshuka then you're going to love this tasty dip. Made with roasted peppers and tomatoes, matbucha is a little spicy and a little sweet, making it great for dipping and as a topping or sauce for various dishes.

10. Tzatziki

This tangy dairy-based sauce is incredibly easy to make but can add loads of flavor to whatever you add it to. Besides putting it on a mezze platter I also like to use tzatziki as a salad dressing.

11. Olives

What else is there to say? Olives a great salty snack and are a perfect mezze palate cleanser. Try them seasoned with chili powder or garlic for a fun kick.

12. Tahini

Used in both sweet and savory recipes, tahini is an incredibly versatile ingredient. Made with sesame seeds, tahini has a runny texture with a nutty finish (imagine a really liquidy peanut butter). Try it drizzled on some hummus or poured on your oatmeal.

13. Fattoush

Similar to tabbouleh, fattoush is another salad made up of various herbs and vegetables. Feel free to serve it as a side or as a main.

14. Halloumi

Halloumi is perhaps one of the most magical cheeses you'll come across. With a texture similar to tofu, this product can either be served raw or cooked and unlike other types of cheese it doesn't melt, making it a great addition to any meal. 

15. Labneh

Labneh is a thick and tangy yogurt-cheese concoction. It works great as a dip or a spread -  think of it as a fancier version of cream cheese. 

16. Sarma

An incredibly authentic dish, sarma is made with rolled leaves (usually grape) and is stuffed with some type of minced meat. It's an acquired taste: you'll either love sarma or hate it.