Hummus is the king of all dips and blows less versatile options like ranch and guac out of the water. For many of us, pita bread or carrot sticks are simply a vehicle for hummus, but there are many more ways to eat hummus than that. To help you get the most out of this versatile spread, I've made a list of my favorite ways to enjoy it. All of these ways to eat hummus can be enjoyed with any flavor of the spread.

#SpoonTip: Don't limit yourself to traditional hummus when there are so many exciting flavors at the store like roasted red pepper and garlic. You can even try making your own chocolate hummus!

1. Spread hummus on your favorite bread

toast, bread
Parisa Soraya

Hummus is delicious. Bread is delicious. Eat hummus and bread together for a burst of heavenly savory goodness in your mouth.

2. Use instead of mayonnaise or mustard

bacon, ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce, bread, sandwich

Hummus not only amps your your sandwich, but it also has a lot of health benefits that mayonnaise and mustard do not have. Hummus is a great source of protein, healthy fats, and calcium. In addition, hummus can help with weight loss and disease prevention.

3. Dip pita chips in hummus

salsa, wheat, bread
Andrea Leelike

Hummus is a healthy alternative to your usual chip dip. Stick with pita chips for a Mediterranean-inspired snack, but all chips will taste better dipped in hummus.

4. Make hummus mashed potatoes

vegetable
Bernard Wen

Perhaps your new favorite comfort food? Replace sour cream with hummus when making mashed potatoes for more flavor and fewer calories.

5. Make deviled eggs

dairy product, deviled eggs, milk, egg, cream
Stephanie Cozza

Easier and healthier than traditional deviled eggs, hummus deviled eggs are a twist on the classic potluck dish. Boil your eggs, cut them in half lengthwise, scoop out the yolk, and then blend and mash the yolk together with some hummus. Just dollop the mixture back into your egg whites, and your hummus deviled eggs are ready. 

6. Pair hummus and vegetables

vegetable, hummus, bread
Christin Urso

Carrots, broccoli, cucumbers—is there a vegetable that doesn’t taste better with hummus?

7. Make a Mediterranean-inspired dinner with fish topped with hummus

sauce, vegetable, seafood, meat, fish

Bake a salmon filet topped with hummus and rosemary. With just three ingredients, you can make a delightful and healthy dinner for yourself or to impress your friends.

8. Eat hummus with falafel, duh

falafel, meat, bread, beef, vegetable, parsley, salad, tomato, lettuce
Emma Noyes

You can never eat too many chickpeas, and this classic food pairing is a crowd favorite for a reason. If you want to make your own falafel but don't want to worry about deep frying anything, try these easy baked falafel instead. For a richer flavor, give these sweet potato falafel a go.

9. Make healthy salad dressing

tomato, lettuce, salad, vegetable
Kristine Mahan

Getting tired of eating your salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar? Blend hummus with olive oil, lemon juice, and paprika for an easy and flavorful salad dressing.

10. Just eat hummus by the spoonful

vegetable, hummus, bread
Lindsey Zimmer

No judging. I do it, and I am not ashamed.

Now that you know these 10 ways to eat hummus, I hope you go out of your comfort zone and start eating it on things other than carrot sticks. With such a versatile flavor, it'd be a shame not to use this spread more often.