I don't know about you, but I always find myself wondering what fruits and vegetables are in season. As January comes to an end, I'm ready to hop into February and eat all the freshest produce I can find. If you're confused about what's in season for the month of February, read this article to figure out what you should be eating in February. 

1. Citrus Fruits

This is a semi-obvious one, but regardless, citrus is in season in February! Think tangerines, mandarins, grapefruits, pomelos, lemons, limes, blood oranges— the list goes on. For the sweetest, freshest citrus, visit your local farmer's market or produce store. 

#SpoonTip: When choosing mandarin oranges, pick ones that are slightly soft and puffy around the edges— that means they won't be hard and dry on the inside.

Now, for the recipe idea: orange tofu. I know you've all heard of orange chicken, but for a delicious, protein-packed vegan meal orange tofu is the move. Tangy, sweet, and slightly spicy, this glazed tofu is perfect paired with steamed brown or white rice and a side of green veggies. This recipe from yupitsvegan is easy, simple, and healthy, plus you don't need to leave your house to satisfy that Chinese takeout craving.

2. Kale

Oh kale yes. With its thick stems and sturdy leaves, kale flourishes in the wintertime. There are many, many different varieties of kale, but my personal favorites are lacinato kale (or dinosaur kale) as well as curly green or purple kale. Kale is incredibly versatile— use it for salads, soups, stews, stir fries,      and even smoothies and juices. As a plus, kale packs a nutritional punch, full of fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Manganese. 

By far my favorite way to eat kale is massaged in a salad. Yes, I said massaged, and yes, I massage my kale. It's therapeutic, I promise. Just rip up your kale into bite-size pieces, place it in a large bowl (it will shrink down a lot), and massage with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper. From there, you can add a small amount of your favorite dressing or mash avocado into the greens. This tahini kale salad from Caitlin Shoemaker is the perfect example of a high-protein, nutrient-dense lunch or dinner with alllll the veggies.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli, in my opinion, is the best vegetable. I easily eat a whole head at once, whether it is steamed, roasted, or sautéed. There are various different types of broccoli as well, including baby broccoli (broccolini) and broccoli rabe (an Italian favorite). When buying broccoli, make sure to look for tightly packed heads and a bright green hue. And don't forget, when you're chopping up your broccoli, don't discard the stalks! They are packed with vitamins as well, and are delicious when pulsed in a food processor to make "rice" or can be used to bulk up soups and stews.

You might be thinking: Ok, what's something creative to do with broccoli? I've got the perfect snack, lunch, or even dinner idea for you right here. Baked broccoli! To make your baked broccoli, simply cut the heads into florets and toss with olive oil and your favorite seasonings (panko breadcrumbs would be good too), and bake in the oven at 375 degrees until crispy! Now that you have the most addicting baked broccoli bites, you need a killer dip to go with them, and that's where hummus comes in. Store-bought, homemade, whatever you like— pretty much all hummus flavors would work for this dish. 

4. Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes are nearly a superfood! They are low in calories, satiating, and are packed with potassium and Vitamin A. There are many different varieties of sweet potatoes as well, including the white Hannah sweet potato, Japanese sweet potatoes (purple skin and white interior), and purple sweet potatoes (purple skin and interior). They can be prepared in a myriad of ways, including pan frying, roasting, sautéing, air frying, and even toasting to make sweet potato toasts!

#SpoonTip: Wash your sweet potato, poke a few holes in it, and wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave it for 8-10 minutes, and voila! 

For a rather unconventional recipe with sweet potato, look no further and check out these sweet potato brownies from The Big Man's World. Ooey gooey, fudgy, and yet full of fiber, these brownies will satisfy any chocoholic's craving. 

5. Collards 

Collards are an under-appreciated member of the cruciferous vegetable family. They are from the cabbage family, but have a milder flavor than cabbage and are an excellent source of Calcium, Vitamin A, and Beta Carotene. It has also been found that the antioxidants and phytochemicals in collards may help to reduce the risk of some forms of cancer and heart disease.

While collards are traditionally braised for a long period of time in Southern cooking, my favorite way to eat collards is as a wrap. With just a large collard leaves and your favorite fillings, you can make a completely raw, nutritious wrap for a light lunch or dinner. Alternatively, chickpea salad is a great option to stuff your collards with for a protein-packed meal. 

6. Brussel Sprouts 

Brussel sprouts are definitely my favorite on this list, and I'm not just saying that. I have been known to eat a half a stalk of this member of the cruciferous veggie family myself. No shame. Brussel sprouts are definitely a hit-or-miss vegetable, as some people actually have the gene TAS2R38 that makes Brussel sprouts taste incredibly bitter. Otherwise, these tiny cabbages are packed with fiber and Vitamin A and are best pan-fried, roasted, or steamed.

For a new spin on Brussels, try them shaved! Shaved Brussels sprouts are a little less toothsome and are perfect for stir-fries just like in this brussel sprout and green onion fried rice with sriracha tofu. Look no further for the perfect weekday meal with an Asian flare.

7. Cauliflower

Cauliflower is arguably one of the healthiest vegetables and the prettiest. I mean, have you ever seen Romanesco cauliflower or purple cauliflower? It is also one of the most versatile too. It can be blended into sauces (think cauliflower mac n' cheese), mashed potatoes, and even smoothies. Yes, smoothies. Don't knock it till ya try it!

Behold, the cauliflower pizza crust! I'm sure you have seen this recipe idea all over Instagram, and for good reason. This cauli-crust is an easy way to sneak in extra veggies, and it is a great gluten-free option as well! Top your cauliflower crust with red sauce, pesto, or hummus, and whatever fresh, frozen, or roasted veggies you like. Check out this winning combo of hummus, sweet corn, roasted red peppers, and arugula below for some inspo. 

#SpoonTip: Check out your local Trader Joe's for a pre-made cauliflower crust!

And there you have it, the foods you absolutely have to be eating in February. Don't miss out, because you definitely might regret it later.