For those unaware, Korean skin care products have been making their way to the US and are dominating the beauty industry with their innovative products (like BB creams). Now, there are Korean face masks (some with super eye-catching packaging) that will for sure improve your typical skin care routine. As a Korean-American with a mother from South Korea, we are more in-tune with Korean skin care and are always on the look out for the newest products.

I wasn't a huge fan of face masks until my mom got really into Korean beauty products a few years ago. She ordered a bunch of sheet masks for us to try out since American-brand sheet masks aren't widely available, have less variety, and are obscenely expensive.

After the first few times I used these Korean masks, my face felt like it hadn't been properly cleaned or hydrated in weeks (yuck). Then I began to branch out with other face masks, like clay masks, and those have been amazing for clearing out my pores.

#SpoonTip: Because everyone has different skin types, make sure you know (or at least have some idea) what skin type you are so that you can purchase a face mask that can give you maximum benefits.

1. Innisfree "It's Real Squeeze Mask"

herb, vegetable
Whitney Lauren Han

These are my go-to sheet masks since these come in a pack of 15 for around $14 (which is a pretty good deal) and has each sheet mask with a specific ingredient (i.e. rose, strawberry, aloe, blackberry). They also have specific beneficial properties, such as brightening, moisturizing, firming, nourishing, smoothing, and more. When you first open these up, don't worry if the sheet comes out dripping wet, you'll want all the moisture you can get.

Price: $14 for a pack of 15 sheets

2. TONYMOLY "I'm Real"

chips, beer
Whitney Lauren Han

When it comes to Korean face masks, this brand might be the most common one amongst Americans in the beauty industry. You can find these at your local Ulta Beauty and Urban Outfitters. Each individual package indicates at the top its intended benefits, like how these two in the picture above are for "Brightening" and "Skin Purifying."

Price: $3.75 for single; $11-14 for a pack of 10 sheets

3. Elizavecca Milky Piggy "Hell-Pore Clean Up Mask"

tea, milk, beer, coffee
Whitney Lauren Han

I've got to warn you that this mask hurts like hell when peeling it off (as the label advertises), but it takes out all of the blackheads and other nasty things out of your face, so make sure you apply a thin layer to lessen the pain. This mask isn't for everyone, but I highly recommend this one to those unfortunate souls, like myself, who get blackheads often on their nose and T-zone. 

Price: $11-15

4. Elizavecca Milky Piggy "Carbonated Bubble Clay Mask"

salt, condiment, dairy product, milk, coffee
Whitney Lauren Han

This has to be one of the strangest face masks I've ever tried—and I've tried a lot of them. It's from the same brand as the one above, and what's unique about this mask is that it literally bubbles and foams on your face. It will clean out any excess dirt or bacteria in your pores and leave your face feeling fresh and smooth after washing it off. It's also fun to try out with friends for a treat yo self kind of night!

Price: $10

5. Mediheal LINE Friends

chocolate, beer
Whitney Lauren Han

With this brand and fun line of sheet masks, there are four types, including this one up above called, "I.P.I Lightmax Ampoule Mask." This one is specifically designed for brightening and leaving your skin radiant. The other three are designed to either purify your pores, firm your skin, or leave your face feeling ultra smooth. I think these ones are great for when you feel like your face needs an extra boost of treatment compared to other sheet masks.

Price: $14-17 for 10 masks

6. PAPA RECIPE "Bombee Honey Mask"

candy, tea, milk, dairy product, cream, cake, sweet, coffee, chocolate
Whitney Lauren Han

For those of you who are specifically looking for a sheet mask that does a great job of controlling your acne (reducing inflammation and contains antibacterial properties), as well as nourishing and moisturizing your skin, this honey mask is the way to go. I bought a box of them, and it's great to have on hand for days where I need to give my dry skin some deep hydration. It also smells really good!

Price: About $20 for a box of 10 sheets

7. SKINFOOD "Black Sugar Mask Wash Off"

steak sauce, coffee
Whitney Lauren Han

As one of my favorite brands, I saved this mask for last. Skinfood is known for making all-natural beauty products out of food ingredients (yup, food), which lets your skin soak up all of the healthy, natural nutrients. Since this mask is more of a scrub, I love to use this when I need to exfoliate my face to get rid of dead skin cells—and this one smells amazing, too!

Price: $9-14 (two sizes: 100g or 200g)

With a variety of face masks to try out, it's also a good idea to check out the websites from the companies of each product I've listed to see what other kinds of face masks or skin care products they make. Chances are that you'll find something else that will catch your interest as well.

At the end of the day, Korean face masks are the way to go. Whether you like sheet masks or clay masks, your face will thank you once you incorporate them into your skin care routine. It's especially hard to resist their cute packaging!