I won't lie. I've been a January Gym Joiner once or twice in my life, but that just confirms another truth: I hate the gym.

I have never been an active person. When everyone else was trying out for sports, I was joining another after-school club.

Even now when exercise is so important, I can't find the strength to keep up a gym routine.

With that said, it's still important for us gym-haters to find the time to get some motion into our day to stay active and physically healthy.

Here are some easy ways to get those steps in without the treadmill:

1. Play a Sport You Love for Fun

I absolutely love swimming, so I take every chance I can get to get into the water and have some fun. All the while, I'm getting my exercise in.

They say when you do something you love, you don't work a day in your life. The same goes for exercise. 

If you're having fun with friends playing basketball or ice skating, you won't even realize all the calories you're burning.

2. Pace

Pacing doesn't have to be for when you're anxious. Take a moment every once in a while to pace around.

Whether you're taking a study break or you're talking on the phone, you're moving your body and getting the blood flowing.

Stop yourself from becoming stiff by pacing around for a little bit and getting those few precious minutes of exercise into your day.

3. Video Games for Fitness

This one is for all my gamers out there. It's so easy to spend six to eight hours playing a video game and forgetting to get your active side going.

Video games can help you exercise. There are games that depend on your movement like sports and dance games through motion cameras. Games like Pokemon Go get you up and out of your seat when you need it.

Even just standing instead of sitting while playing a video game can go a long way in keeping your body healthy and active, so give it a try next time you power up your game console.

4. Walk Everywhere

The obvious is sometimes overlooked. Whenever possible, skip the car and go for a walk. 

When the weather is nice, use your bike for transportation. Not only are you helping your body by staying fit, you're helping the planet by reducing car emissions.

Remember, if you're not in a rush, enjoy the day and give your body the exercise it needs by walking.

5. Have Adventures With Your Friends

Change up your daily routine by going on adventures with friends.

Hike up a trail for some amazing pictures. Go ice skating at your local ice skating rink. Go to the beach and play beach volleyball. 

With the blink of an eye, you'll notice that you've not only given your body the exercise it deserves but you've also given your friends the attention and time they deserve.

The gym may be the worst place on Earth, but that doesn't mean exercise has to be. Exercise is necessary, and it can be fun too. 

You won't need the gym after trying out all these ways to stay active.