Spoon University Logo
Food trucks
Food trucks
Original photos by Elliott Parrish
Reviews

Spill the Tea: Taiwan Bubble Tea Festival Thrills Rockville

The opinions expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not reflect the views of Spoon University.

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at American chapter.

Rockville Town Square Plaza bustles with Taiwanese tradition

Nearly 8,000 miles from its place of origin, revelers sipping hundreds of varieties of bubble tea filled the streets of downtown Rockville. 

Dancers clad in vibrant costumes performed to the sound of lutes, trumpets and drums. Confectioners handed out sweets from across the globe. And over a dozen booths hawked the best bubble tea this side of the Atlantic to an extremely fortunate crowd.

Dancers at the Taiwan Bubble Tea Festival
Original photos by Elliott Parrish

What’s the provenance of this iconic and wildly popular drink? How did it end up at a Maryland street festival? And which are the flavors you simply can’t miss? 

Spoon brings you the sights and significance of the Taiwan Bubble Tea Festival.

A brief history of bubble tea

Bubble tea inflatable
Original photos by Elliott Parrish

Bubble tea (or “boba” for short) was born in Taiwan sometime during the 1980s. Californians were the first to enjoy it stateside. Since then, boba has gained popularity across other regions of Asia and grown into a $2.4 billion industry.

The bubbles themselves are made of tapioca: chewy with a mild taste. Taiwanese tea houses originated the process of using starch, brown sugar and water to engineer the pearls’ unmistakable texture.

City of Sisterly Love

Bubble tea fest crowds
Original photos by Elliott Parrish

Rockville is special. 

For the past five years, the city has held the special status of being a sister city to Taiwan’s Yilan City, which is also home to over three dozen bubble tea shops.

But the affair goes beyond delicious drinks. The extraordinary relationship between the two cities builds cultural connections across hemispheres.

Rep. Jamie Raskin (MD-D) poses at the Taiwan Bubble Tea Festival
Original photos by Elliott Parrish

Rep. Jamie Raskin (MD-8) attended this year’s festival. He presented a congressional proclamation that honored the festival and celebrated the international friendship it represents.

“Drink your bubble tea,” Raskin told the crowd. “It will bring you good luck for the rest of the year.”

Rockville Mayor Bridget Newton was also present. She lauded the “fabulous opportunity to bring many diverse communities together”.

The mayor was right. Amidst the present day’s relentless polarization, it’s heartening to see a city brought together over a cool glass of bubble tea.

The very best boba

Overwhelmed by endless possibilities, I stuck with a classic: vanilla milk tea with black pearl boba. It was everything I hoped it would be.

The BoBaPoP Tea Bar recipe mixes brown sugar and vanilla extract with milk and ice. The tapioca pearls themselves are satisfyingly gummy.

bubble tea
Original photos by Elliott Parrish

Other Spoon writers were more adventurous. The strawberry rose popping boba was tart and refreshing, and the lychee oolong fruit tea was noted to have a complex, intriguing flavor profile. 

Traditional green teas and unorthodox Oreo Milk Tea Boba drinks tempted festivalgoers to discover delectable new treats. Loud music and excited chatter filled the air, with the entirety of the festivities spanning three city blocks.

Terrific tofu

tofu and bubble tea
Original photos by Elliott Parrish

Drinks aside, the festival chefs served up specialties from across Asia. I enjoyed some crispy fried tofu with mild peanut sauce and diced parsley. The tantalizing aromas of bao, pad thai, fried rice and spherical octopus dumplings wafted through the air.

It was the finest street food I’ve ever had. Between the day’s performances, culinary fireworks and cross-cultural unity, this event was an unqualified success. 

dancers at the bubble tea fest
Original photos by Elliott Parrish

It is hard to imagine a higher note to end the summer on. The time for Oktoberfest will soon arrive with its polka tunes and German chocolate cake. But for now, a more unique event demands the spotlight. The Taiwan Bubble Tea Festival is a singular tradition of which Rockville should be proud.

Elliott Parrish

American '24