Spoon University Logo
News

Chipotle Now Has Robots To Peel Avocados

In collaboration with the food-focused tech companies Hyphen and Vebu, Chipotle just introduced a new robot called the “Autocado” that “cuts, cores, and peels avocados” drastically lowering the time it takes to prep Chipotle’s delicious guac, which we know is oh-so-important to practically any Chipotle order (at least for me!). The Autocado can do it all in just 26 seconds.

Yes, Chipotle robots exist.

The addition of these robots is in hopes of speeding up the time it takes to prep the ingredients important to customers’ orders. The Autocado can completely peel and core an avocado in 26 seconds, and it even can adjust to the different size and softness of the fruit, according to Chipotle’s press release. Chipotle goes through millions of avocados every year, and this machine will no doubt speed up the process of making each customer’s order. 

The goal is to be more efficient and to let the employees focus on more important tasks such as preparing customers’ orders, prepping other ingredients, and answering customer concerns at the front of the store or over the phone. Employees can put a case of avocados in the machine, and the robots can peel avocados quickly and efficiently, which then get mashed into Chipotle’s classic guac by the employees. In turn, this can help streamline service to customers, increasing the amount of people that can be served, and thus increasing profit. 

In addition to the Autocado, there’s another new machine called the Augmented Makeline. This machine is intended to prepare bowl and salad orders by dispensing exact portions of each ingredient into each bowl. Customers (especially those through the mobile app) have complained in the past about Chipotle ‘skimping’ on ingredients before, and the Augmented Makeline machine will completely prevent this from happening, as it can adjust portions depending on the customer’s selection, and is programmed to do it right every time. According to Bloomberg, it “automatically regulates portions for an order with several sauces, sour cream, guacamole and cheese dip so the end result isn’t soupy,” which will no doubt increase customers’ overall satisfaction with their orders. 

While the Makeline handles bowls and salads ordered through the mobile app, which accounts for 65% of all digital orders, Chipotle’s human employees will handle the burritos, tacos, quesadillas, and kid’s meals. This collaboration between humans and robots to prepare the food is being described as “CoBotic” by Chipotle. 

Where can I find these new Chipotle robots?

According to The Verge, Chipotle tested out these robots in two of its California locations:  20972 Magnolia St. in Huntington Beach, and 3050 East Coast Hwy, Corona del Mar. The fast food chain is hoping to make them more widely used soon. 

The addition of these machines could change the food service industry worldwide, as Chipotle has invested $100 million in Vebu and Hyphen, in something called the “Cultivate Next Venture Fund” program, which will further the company’s bold growth plans of opening 7,000 stores in North America. Chipotle’s use of this new technology could be a step forward in the food industry, and there could be other restaurants right behind them in adding “Cobotic” technology to their stores.

Meg Carey is a contributor for Spoon University’s National Writers Program, covering all things food-related with a particular interest in coffee and all coffee-adjacent beverages (especially matcha!). They are currently studying creative writing with a minor in publishing at Emerson College. Meg has a serious passion for finding the best vegetarian and vegan eats in the area, and they are always excited to share those finds with the world. Beyond Spoon University, Meg also works as Copyeditor for Concrete Magazine, Design Manager for Wilde Press, and this past spring semester, they were Head Designer for Black Swan, another Emerson publication. They are currently interning at Campus Clipper, and have interned with Publishing Solutions Group in the past. Their works of fiction and poetry have been featured in Generic Magazine, 365tomorrows, and The Underground Literary Magazine. Meg can usually be found writing in a cafe, hanging out with their cat (her name is Bunny!), or working out (probably either listening to an audiobook or to Britney Spears). They love reading sci-fi, horror, and romance (bonus points if it’s all three), as well as poetry in their spare time. Meg’s Linkedin is linkedin.com/in/meg-carey/, their substack is https://substack.com/@megcarey, and you can find them on Instagram @megcareywrites.