Richmond is known for its rich history, its diverse art scene, and of course, its wide variety restaurants.  There are many shops and bakeries in the city that would definitely satisfy a dessert-lover with their distinctive and decadent sweets.  Make sure to try out these 10 Richmond dessert places the next time you are visiting.

1. Shyndigz

Shyndigz was Richmond's first ever 'dessert only' restaurant. What makes Shyndigz so special is that the menu changes daily, and they are only open on certain days of the week during certain hours. Come in for the Salted Chocolate Caramel Cake, Creme Brulee, or their daily special. (Helpful hint: they also deliver.)

2. Red Eye Cookie Company

Red Eye Cookie Co. serves fresh, baked-to-order cookies made from locally sourced ingredients. Opened in 2014 in the heart of Richmond, Red Eye Cookie Co. is open past midnight (and even delivers) to satisfy your late-night cookie craving. Try their Classic Chocolate Chip, Signature Red Eye, or their cinnamon sweet Snickerdoodle. There are also premium cookies such as the Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip, Cookies & Cream, and Andes Mint Chocolate Chip.

3. Sugar Shack Donuts

goody, chocolate cake, birthday cake, candy, chocolate, cake
Dana Cantor

Sugar Shack Donuts first opened their doors in June of 2013 in Richmond's Carver community. Since then, they have opened even more locations all over Virginia with several others in the works! Sugar Shack Donuts hand rolls and hand cuts their donuts, providing customers with the freshest donuts. The flavors of donuts rotate regularly, with flavors such as Red Velvet Cake, Chocolate Sweet Coconut, and Glazed Granny Smith Apple Fritter.

4. Charm School Social Club

Charm School opened its doors in December of 2016, which makes it fairly new to the dessert scene in Richmond. They serve various flavors of ice cream which rotate daily with an abundance of toppings such as hot fudge, toasted fluff, and sliced almonds. They also serve milkshakes, baked goods, cakes, and sundaes.  

5. Carytown Cupcakes

Carytown Cupcakes opened in 2009 and is located in the heart of Carytown. They have a wide variety of cupcakes to choose from, with vegan and gluten-free offerings daily. Carytown Cupcakes bakes these cupcakes from scratch using fresh and local ingredients. They also make puppy biscuits and "pupcakes" for your dog. Try the Toasted Coconut Crème, Chocolate Mocha, or the Lemon Lover.

6. Morsels

Morsels is a late-night dessert bakery that offers a huge variety of sweets. Located in Northside, stop by for some cake pops, layered bars, and a wide selection of signature cake flavors such as the Chocolate Turtle Cake, Mocha Salted Caramel, and the Italian Cream Cake.

7. The Treat Shop RVA

The Treat Shop RVA is a family owned and operated donut and ice cream shop located south of the James River. They serve a variety of sweets and treats such as homemade donuts, funnel cakes, cinnamon buns, apple fritters, and Hershey's Ice Cream. Everything is made fresh daily, so you know that you are getting one of the best treats around.

8. Gelati Celesti Ice Cream

Gelati Celesti Ice Cream offers a large variety of ice cream, with each batch made by hand with ingredients from around the world. They offer 24 House Favorites such as Chocolate Decadence, Butter Pecan, and Birthday Cake and more than 85 flavors that are rotated throughout the year. Gelati Celesti also serves made-to-order ice cream pies, ice cream cakes, and ice cream sandwiches.

9. WPA Bakery

WPA Bakery is is a neighborhood bakery located in Richmond's Southside that offers all sorts of different treats that will satisfy even the most picky-eaters. If you are a vegan or eat gluten-free, don't worry—WPA Bakery has desserts for you as well! Drop by and try their biscuits, cupcakes, donuts, cookies, cake, pie, cheesecake, cinnamon buns, macarons, and more.  

10. Nettie's Naturally

Nettie's Naturally is a bakery-cafe that serves desserts that are organic, gluten-free, and sweetened with low-glycemic coconut sugar. Nettie's Naturally came to be because not a lot of cafés and restaurants offered options for people with diabetes or celiac disease. Try their Mexican Torta de Chocolate, Chocolate Beet Brownie, and their Horchata Cheesecake.

Richmond truly is one of the best places to explore your taste buds—there are all sorts of people from different backgrounds that bring a little kick to the growing food scene. All of these places in Richmond offer extremely delicious and decadent desserts from warm, fresh cookies to unique, out-of-the-box donut flavors. With its diverse dessert scene, you will definitely find something that will satisfy your cravings.