Chick-fil-A is infamous for inventing the chicken sandwich and being closed every Sunday. But for more than 70 years, some locations of the fried chicken chain have been offering an unexpected menu item: beef.

Chick-fil-A's slogan "Eat Mor Chikin" openly discourages beef consumption, yet has been quietly serving burgers and steaks in 12 franchises since 1946. Here’s the beefy history of Chick-fil-A’s best-kept secret.

From Dwarf House to Chick-fil-A 

Before being all about that chicken sandwich, Chick-fil-A founder Truett Cathy created a diner called Dwarf House. Besides burgers, Dwarf House served homey dishes like mac & cheese, coconut icebox pie, and sweet potato soufflé. Other offerings included a “deluxe steak,” originally sold for a bargain 30 cents. 

Chicken was definitely on the menu, but not yet in the form of today’s nugs and tenders. Think classic chicken & waffles and the decadent Hot Brown–a casserole dish stuffed with chicken, gravy, mashed potatoes, cheese, and bacon. 

As the name might suggest, Dwarf House loosely followed a Snow White theme–even featuring a mini door on the front of the original restaurant in Hapeville, GA. The location has another big perk: a golden statue of Truett Cathy on a bench, which apparently provides great selfie opportunities–because pics or it didn’t happen actually applies to everything. 

Ready to Try Your Own Chick-fil-A Burger?

When Cathy finally perfected his pressure-cooked chicken, Dwarf House became the beloved Chick-fil-A franchise with the menu we know and love today. But if you’re feeling nostalgic and want a taste of Cathy’s classic burger and steak, take a journey to the Atlanta area, where 12 Chick-fil-A’s still serve the Dwarf House menu. 

Another major plus of these Dwarf House Chick-fil-A’s? Besides Sunday (the struggle is so real), they’re open 24 hours a day. Time to book your flight, pay your respects to the man who inspired chicken greatness, and eat more beef.