Avocado and toast is the new bread and butter. Now that you can find this toast almost everywhere, the standard combination of avocado, toast, and red pepper flakes can start to feel a little...basic. Step up your avocado toast game with these simple swaps and add-ons.

Switch the Type of Toast

Bored of plain bread? Switch up the type of toast. Use a slice of whole wheat, rye, cinnamon-raisin, or a baguette. Or think outside of the box and use a rice cake, pita, flatbread, a bagel, sweet potato toast, a waffle, or even pancakes.

Add a Protein

Make your avocado toast a meal with the addition of a protein. Try smoked salmon, a poached egg, prosciutto, tuna, grilled chicken, or sliced turkey.

Top with Veggies

Go wild with vegetable toppings. They're healthy and offer endless options. Some of my favorites include arugula, red onion, caramelized onion, sautéed mushrooms, marinated red peppers, roasted brussel sprouts, and sun-dried tomatoes.

Sprinkle with Spices

A sprinkle of sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and crushed red pepper is the standard for any good avocado toast, but don't limit yourself! Experiment with other spices like basil, dried rosemary, paprika, truffle salt, and capers. Also try chia, sunflower, pumpkin, and sesame seeds.

Drizzle with Sauces

Try balsamic glaze, sriracha, tzatziki, garlic aioli, truffle oil, olive oil, sesame oil, or another type of infused oil. You can even add a little scoop of hummus.

Add Melty Cheese

Whats better than creamy avocado and crispy toast? Melted cheese. Pop a slice of cheese onto the bread fresh out of the toaster for full melty effect. Try some mozzarella, provolone, cheddar, parmesan shavings, brie, or a sprinkle of feta. Or put some avocado in a grilled cheese.

Make it Sweet

Sweet avocado toast? Yes, you heard me. Try a drizzle of melted almond butter or honey with some sliced strawberries or figs. Then sprinkle on toppings like cinnamon, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, or coconut shavings.

Make it Fancy

Even if you stick to the classic combo of avocado, toast, and red pepper flakes, you can still step up your game with the presentation. Try making an avocado rose, guaranteed to be better than any Bachelor rose.

Try any of these ways to make your next avocado toast not so basic. Before you know it, you'll be eating toast for days.