Working during the summer is both fulfilling and frustrating. On the one hand, you're being productive, proactive, and doing something with your life. On the other, the nice weather - and your friends' countless vacation Instagram posts - make you wanna get out of the city, sit on a beach, sip piña coladas, and soak in the summer sun. 

Working in a city as beautiful and iconic as Milan, I've found ways to squeeze in a little "summer vacation" into the hours that I'm not at work. Below is a list of ways you can actually enjoy summer while working 9-5 in the city, because why not take full advantage of your surroundings? 

1. Be a tourist during your lunch hour 

spinach, chicken
Alison Mally

I'm lucky enough to have a two-hour lunch break, so I've often grabbed a quick bite to eat and then gone sightseeing. Seeing as you have the luxury of not being an actual tourist, you don't have to be stressed about squeezing a million different things into a few short days. Instead, you can visit one landmark a day, or two-three a week, and actually enjoy your time. 

Things that can be seen in 2 hours (or less, if you have a shorter lunch break) include theatres, churches, renowned sculptures, beautiful outdoor spaces, and much, much more. Some examples? La Scala (Milan), Central Park (NYC), the Notre-Dame (Paris), and Marina Bay Sands (Singapore).  

2. Get aperitifs straight after work 

cherry, tea, jam, ice
Marie Chantal Marauta

If you've read some of my other articles, you'll know I am a fervent advocate for after-work aperitifs. I think they're the best way to get you groovy and relaxed after a long day at work, and a beautiful sunset and light summer breeze are best enjoyed with a soothing drink at a rooftop bar. 

To be a little more adventurous, up your cocktail game and try a drink that is out of the ordinary. If you're in a country you've never been to before, this can be easy to do. Order a Yogurito in Japan, a horse semen shot in New Zealand, and Pulque in Mexico (or, on second thought, maybe don't).  

3. Go to iconic restaurants for lunch and dinner

There's no better way for a foodie to enjoy a city, than through its cuisine. Forget the mainstream restaurants on the most popular streets - get a guidebook that opens your eyes to a city's hidden gems, and visit centuries-old restaurants that serve the most delectable, authentic dishes. 

If you're in a more modern area teeming with new, hip cafés that are featured on INSIDER Food, then go to one of these places at a strategic hour and content yourself with the fact that while food tourists fly miles and miles to try these restaurants, you're only a short walk/car ride/metro trip away.

4. Find ways to entertain yourself after hours 

soup
Zoe Schneider

I'm a person who loves constancy and routine, which is why college is so much fun (you basically go to classes, eat, work out, then study, all in a constant cycle). Thus, I've found that summer can be depressing and boring if you're working and then going home to do nothing, especially since you're no longer surrounded by friends who make even the most mundane moments entertaining. Signing up for a daily/weekly class, group or activity for an hour after work will add that extra spark to your day, and keep you busy and entertained.

If you're in Milan, take a cooking class and learn how to become a gourmet Italian chef; if you're in NYC, sign up for Soul Cycle and become a part of the fitness hype; if you're in Tokyo, learn how to make sushi and how to properly cut sashimi. The possibilities are endless.   

5. Plan weekend trips to cool nearby places

water, tea, coffee
Gemima k. Cadet

Okay this one isn't technically something to do in the city, but planning fun trips will give you something to look forward to all week. If you're in Europe, traveling can be extremely cheap, and you can get to an entirely new country on a short train/bus ride. To be honest, though, no matter where you are in the world, there is always going to be a historic city, beautiful panorama, or interesting adventure close by

It can be tempting to spend the weekend bumming around after a long week at work, but I've found that a weekend away in a completely new environment energizes me, and I come back refreshed for the week ahead. 

6. Have a picnic and lounge around

tea, coffee
Alyssa Parker

The lazy version of point 1, having a picnic in a nice, open space during your lunch hour can be incredibly relaxing. After eating, put your sunnies on, plug into some noise-cancelling headphones, then lie back and relax in the sun. For an hour, you can pretend that you're lounging on a remote beach, or chilling in the peaceful countryside. 

Just make sure to put an alarm, so that you don't sleep through the afternoon. 

7. Get lost in a million books

coffee, bacon, pizza
Alexandra Oduber

If you're a person who seeks adventure yet is too physically and mentally exhausted from the year to be up and about, sit down in a breezy park, or in a nice, air-conditioned café, and crack open a book. This is especially convenient if you have super short lunch breaks, and don't feel like doing much. Through the pages, you'll travel all the way around the world and meet tons of new people - all while sitting comfortably and sipping on a cool drink. 

Hopefully the seven above points will help you navigate a summer that could otherwise be dull and/or merely exhausting. Put on a fresh pair of eyes and explore the perks of summer in the city. Still, remember to relax, and enjoy the fact that you are free of stress-inducing homework, readings and midterms.