While some people plan their days around the tides, others plan their days around what new place to try on the boardwalk. Whether you grew up by the ocean or college brought you to the water, the following beachside foods are a right of passage.

1. Funnel Cake

Boardwalk Foods

Photo courtesy of @treatstreasuresandtrails on Instagram

Falling under the popular category of fried anything, funnel cakes work their way into our hearts after working their way into every other restaurant’s menu. You end up with powdered sugar everywhere, giving you another reason to get back into the water, but we won’t judge you if you decide to lick your fingers.

2. Water Ice

Boardwalk Foods

Photo courtesy of @penneformythoughts on Instagram

This is not your mother’s water ice (AKA Italian ice). There is always the classic Italian water ice that everyone grows up with, but the real treat is the infamous Polish water ice taking over our beaches. It’s smooth and pairs perfectly with vanilla custard.

3. Curly Fries

Boardwalk Foods

Photo courtesy of @fastfoodfoodie on Instagram

Seagulls can attest to how great these fries are. Usually served in pails the size of a child’s head, curly fries are a great afternoon snack. Definitely worth the bump in price from your McDonald’s fries.

4. Crab Cakes

Boardwalk Foods

Photo courtesy of @tedsbulletin on Instagram

Seafood is not for everyone, but it is for a lot of people who live near the ocean. Crab cakes have the easiness of a burger with the flavor of seafood, a perfect beach combination.

5. Thin Crust Pizza

Boardwalk Foods

Photo By Casey Irwin

New York may be famous for their thin crust pizza, but boardwalk pizza has earned its own name for itself. Often thin enough to fold over like a sandwich, it’s easy to want to drive to the boards for a single, greasy slice.

6. Banana Whip

Boardwalk Foods

Photo By Casey Irwin

Somewhat new to the scene, banana whips are one of the few healthy options on the boards. Like all of the healthy ice creams out there, you can still top it in any sugary way you want.

7. Fudge

Boardwalk Foods

Photo by Casey Irwin

For every restaurant on the boardwalk, there is a candy store to go along with it. If you make it past the free samples at the door and the rare, refreshing blast of air conditioning, fudge is more than just a gift to bring home to your grandmother – it’s a lifetime favorite.

8. Monkey Bread

Boardwalk Foods

Photo by Casey Irwin

Monkey bread can be the warm treat you snuggle up with on that one rainy day, or it can be your first choice to cure your sweet tooth on a sunny day. Either way, you’ll always want to be the monkey in the middle of two pieces of gooey, sticky monkey bread.

9. Soft Serve With Rainbow Sprinkles

Boardwalk Foods

Soft serve with rainbow sprinkles is one of the most classic symbols of not just the boardwalk but summer. Refreshing at high noon or rewarding after a long day, the sprinkles, or jimmies, take you back to a time before summer jobs and responsibilities.

Some honorable mentions to Dippin’ Dots, saltwater taffy, and fresh lemonade. Not as boardwalk exclusive, but still pretty damn good. If you have yet to try any of these, get on it before it’s September and your stuck trying your dining hall’s sketchy crab cakes instead.