Waking up early in the morning is hard – you probably didn't get enough sleep or took too much melatonin last and feel groggy. Luckily, there are a few things healthy people do that you can adopt to awaken mind, body, and spirit. With these few tips, you'll be starting off your day better in no time.

1. Drink Up

Water that is. A glass of water can help awaken your system and give your immune system the extra boast it needs. If you want to get ~fancy~, add a slice of lemon or a splash of apple cider vinegar, which provide some extra health benefits.

2. Get Some Fresh Air

Open a window, go for a short walk, or just step into the sun for 5 minutes. If it's warm out, the sun will warm you up before getting off to work (plus giving you a dose of vitamin D) and those few minutes will help you appreciate nature. If it's cold, the brisk air will certainly wake you up and get you going. 

3. Stretch 

Moving you body and stretching out any kinks in your neck or back will help get the blood flowing in your system. Getting your blood pumping in the morning will help you sustain energy throughout the day, plus a good stretch is just what your body needs after a night's sleep. 

4. Eat Breakfast

Brittany Arnett

Sounds like a no brainer, but eating breakfast will improve your day by sustaining your sugar levels, awakening your metabolism, and fueling you until lunch. Hey – that's why it's considered the most important meal of the day.

5. Say an Affirmation 

Any yogi would approve of this one: the more you say something, the more you're likely to believe or fulfill it. Something as simple as "I will eat healthy today" or "I feel and look beautiful" can put you mentally in a more positive state. Do it for yourself!

6. Read the News 

Whether you get the NY Times in print, a Skimm email, or CNN push notifications on your phone, reading what's happening in the world can be beneficial for multiple reasons. It stimulates your brain before work and keeps you up to date on events that could come up in the office or in class. 

7. Write in a Journal 

Jotting down notes in the morning can help put your mind at ease and spark your creativity. And if you're looking for some journal inspiration, there are tons of Instagram accounts that do just that.

So if you're trying to maximize your alertness, happiness, and productivity throughout the day, these seven tips are just what you need. Start your day off strong and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel.