Spoon University Logo
FullSizeRender
FullSizeRender
Recipes

Spiced Chai Poached Pears to Satisfy Your Winter Sweet Tooth Cravings

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at PITT chapter.

Chai is one of my favorite things on the planet. I would drink it as a tea, as a latte, as a boxed mix, with a mouse, in a house. The iconic chai flavors go perfectly with poached pears, served up over vanilla ice cream or topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

Pull out this recipe for your next fancy dinner party, to impress your family at a holiday gathering, or to satisfy your sweet tooth on a cozy winter night. Most importantly, use this recipe to enjoy chai on a whole new level!

Chai Poached Pears

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time:1 hour Total time:1 hour 5 minutesServings:2 servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Sarah Goldman

Combine all ingredients besides the pears in a medium saucepan over high heat. Let the mixture boil for about 5 minutes, remove the tea bags, and boil for 5 minutes longer.

2. Photo by Sarah Goldman

Add the pears to the poaching liquid. Bring the heat down to a steady simmer and cook until fork-tender, about 20 minutes.

3. Photo by Sarah Goldman

Remove the pears and bring the sauce back to a boil, allowing it to thicken and become more of a syrup consistency. This can take up to 30 minutes, but it depends on the texture you desire for the sauce.

4. chai final

Serve the pears over your favorite ice cream with a dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon. The second best part of this recipe is that you can save your extra chai syrup to make yourself a homemade, better-than-Starbucks chai tea latte later in the week! Definitely a win-win.

I love cooking. It is a stress reliever for me during the school year, but I enjoy sharing food and recipes all year round! I want to continue learning about new ingredients and cultural cuisines. I am very excited to be a part of Spoon University!