Spoon University Logo
overnight oats 6
overnight oats 6
Recipes

How to Make Overnight Oats Using Dining Hall Ingredients

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Marquette chapter.

Like many other college students, overnight oats are a lifesaver for me. The only problem is I live in a dorm, so I don’t always have the ingredients readily available. I don’t constantly keep milk and yogurt in my fridge, and I realize that this is probably a big reason why students my age don’t take advantage of overnight oats. 

A solution arose as I was mulling over a large part of my student debt: the meal plan. I embarked on a journey to create overnight oats using only dining hall food.

Dining Hall Overnight Oats

overnight oats
Jenny Whidden

Only two things are necessary for dorm overnight oats: oats and any container imaginable (lid not required). Ingredients are typically a 1:1 ratio of milk, yogurt, and oats. For all of my dairy-free friends, yogurt is optional and most dining halls have soy milk. Here are some overnight oats rules for those who are new to the game.

#SpoonTip: Buy oats in bulk and you’ll be set for at least a semester.

At most dining halls, you’ll find a variety of yogurts and spreads that are perfect for overnight oats. Check next to the salad bar and during breakfast hours for the perfect overnight oats mix-ins.

overnight oats
Jenny Whidden

The most important part of any overnight oats is the base. Once my base was loaded, I added various toppings to spice things up. After taking a look around, I created three versions of overnight oats:

Mocha—Nutella, coffee, sliced almonds

Banana Peanut Butter—sliced bananas, peanut butter

Maple Apple—sliced green apples, syrup 

overnight oats
Jenny Whidden

I was surprised by the amount of options I had at my dining hall, and I left itching to go back and invent some new overnight oats concoctions. I encourage you to stop by your closest dining hall to create some of your very own overnight oats. It’s fun, inexpensive, and pretty darn tasty, if you ask me! 

Vegetarian. Record collector. Human rights activist. Cat lover. Trying to go vegan but I just really love ice cream, y'know?